[acc-cca-l] Bill C-10 and the Future of Internet Regulation in Canada Is there a more democratic and accountable alternative?

Dwayne Winseck DwayneWinseck at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 3 07:46:53 MDT 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear All,

If you've been following along with respect to the debates sparked by Bill C-10, the Broadcasting Reform Act, and other pending government bills and actions with respect to online harms, website blocking, news compensation, etc., you may find a new piece by me that just came out this morning of interest.

[https://www.cigionline.org/static/images/shutterstock_1620294976_1.2e16d0ba.fill-1600x900.jpg]<https://www.cigionline.org/articles/bill-c-10-and-the-future-of-internet-regulation-in-canada/>
Bill C-10 and the Future of Internet Regulation in Canada<https://www.cigionline.org/articles/bill-c-10-and-the-future-of-internet-regulation-in-canada/>
Bill C-10 is an attempt by the Canadian government to bring internet-based audiovisual media services under democratic oversight, but its scope is ill-defined. As Dwayne Winseck argues, given the core flaws that the debate over Bill C-10 has identified, this much is clear: Canada should drop the bill and start over.
www.cigionline.org

https://www.cigionline.org/articles/bill-c-10-and-the-future-of-internet-regulation-in-canada/

Other than that, I hope that you are well and enjoying a week of CCA papers and other activities.

best wishes,
Dwayne

Professor, School of Journalism and Communication and Director of the Canadian Media Concentration Research Project,
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
Phone: 613 520-2600 x.7525
Mobile: 613 769-7587
Follow me on Twitter: @mediamorphis