[acc-cca-l] CFP for the Environmental Media Lab's creative journal, Heliotrope

Environmental Media Lab (EML) eml at ucalgary.ca
Thu Apr 8 14:06:25 MDT 2021

Sent on behalf of the Environmental Media Lab at the University of Calgary

The Environmental Media Lab (EML)<https://www.environmentalmedialab.com/> at the University of Calgary is seeking submissions on a rolling basis for Heliotrope: Writing toward the light<https://www.environmentalmedialab.com/heliotrope>. Launched in September 2020, Heliotrope is a digital space for publishing short think-and-feel pieces at the intersection of media, technology and environment. We consider the “the environment” to be everything from the molecular to outer space—not just the wilderness.

We intend for Heliotrope to be a space where scholars and practitioners can engage in work creatively—that is, where we don’t have to worry whether or not we’re being sufficiently academic. To date, Heliotrope has published essays, critical reflections, critical fiction, and photo essays. We're open to many more formats. This is your space to explore.

We also intend for Heliotrope to be a space where writers can practice writing short and brief, a skill that we’re rarely encouraged to hone. Submissions should be between 500 and 1,500 words.

Heliotrope is one of the best parts of what we at the EML do—rather, what we help you do. It's a privilege to participate in your work, even for a brief moment in time. That’s why our editorial team is committed to providing constructive feedback on all submissions.

To find out more, please check out our CFP<https://www.environmentalmedialab.com/heliotrope/cfp-writing-toward-the-light>.

Send us a note, a query, or a completed piece either via our online form<https://environmentalmedialab.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf8eb2a0b71a651098335cbdb&id=ef31105202&e=849af154c8> or email (heliotrope at ucalgary.ca<mailto:heliotrope at ucalgary.ca>).