[acc-cca-l] [Call for Proposals] SFU CMNS Graduate Student Conference 2021

Ben Scholl ben_scholl at sfu.ca
Fri Feb 5 12:09:46 MST 2021

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello Everyone,

I hope your new year is off to a safe and healthy start!

I’m honoured to be contacting you, on behalf of the Simon Fraser University School of Communications Graduate Student Caucus, to announce this year’s Graduate Student Conference, and to share with you our call for proposals (see attached).

This year’s conference will be held virtually on Zoom.
The conference will take place on May 7th, 2021.

Our conference theme is: Resilience in Crises and Crisis

We want to encourage discussion and debate around the topic of crisis. The COVID-19 pandemic, overdose crisis, crisis of the university, economic crisis, crisis of truth, and looming threat to life of the Anthropocene have been at the fore this past year. Our aim is to bring student research and art together to facilitate a timely conversation about the field of communication and media studies amidst these calamities. We encourage authors and artists to consider resilience, in their fields/art, in light of these present moments of crisis; and to question the resilience of crisis itself. Has crisis become ordinary? If so, how do recovery and opportunity present themselves or are possibilities in a state of deferral?

We ask that you submit proposals for papers and works of art by March 1st.
You will be notified of acceptance by April 1st.

Please submit all questions and proposals, including either the phrase “CMNS GSC-21 Question” or “CMNS GSC-21 Submission” in the subject-line, to:

Conference Chair

Ben Scholl | PhD Student
Simon Fraser University | School of Communications
ben_scholl at sfu.ca<mailto:ben_scholl at sfu.ca> |

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon and look forward meeting you virtually in May!

Kind Regards,

Ben Scholl