[acc-cca-l] UAlberta Digital Synergies Speaker Series - How are governments coping with the growing demand for radio spectrum?

Digisyn digisyn at ualberta.ca
Tue Nov 17 14:35:15 MST 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Digital Synergies is pleased to present the next webinar in our speakers series featuring the latest publications in the field of media and communications:

Gregory Taylor & Catherine Middleton on their book, "Frequencies: International Spectrum Policy" on Wednesday, November 25 at 1-2 pm (Mountain).

Our digital world is increasingly mobile. All mobile communication rests upon access to one invisible, essential element: the radio spectrum. In Frequencies Gregory Taylor and Catherine Middleton bring together diverse national perspectives to explore the current and future state of spectrum governance worldwide. Spectrum is a foundational component of our contemporary communication infrastructure. The stakes are massive: mobile network operators have invested billions of dollars via national spectrum auctions to claim exclusive use of prime spectrum bands. Despite this windfall for national governments, many people around the globe remain disconnected from mobile service, yet international policy comparisons that can help us understand these disparities and differences are rare. During this discussion, Gregory & Catherine will draw upon international case studies to explore how governments are coping with the growing demands for mobile technologies. Together, they will outline a few of the regularly appearing challenges in spectrum management in far-flung regions of the planet.

When: Nov 18, 2020 01:00 PM Edmonton (Zoom)

Register in advance for this free webinar:
https://ualberta-ca.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcrf-CqqD8rE9dlR2LVbyEy-sLZ-VlK0-Fj
<https://ualberta-ca.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcrf-CqqD8rE9dlR2LVbyEy-sLZ-VlK0-Fj>
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.