[acc-cca-l] The Ryerson Sound Studies Collective

Stacey Copeland stacey_copeland at sfu.ca
Thu Oct 29 08:48:38 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Hello fellow CCA members,

As a visiting graduate researcher with the RTA School of Media (Ryerson, Toronto) this year, I'm working with Prof. Lori Beckstead to run a series of discussion sessions related to the broad field of sound studies. I wanted to personally invite you all to our next session on Thursday November 5th @ 3pm EST (UTC-5). RSVP below to receive access to the zoom link.

*** Want to stay in the collective loop about our upcoming events?
Reply 'Subscribe' to my email (stacey_copeland at sfu.ca<mailto:stacey_copeland at sfu.ca>) and i'll add you to the list to continue to receive collective related emails moving forward.

--
Dr. John Shiga (ProCom, Ryerson) will be our session leader this week with a discussion on "Cold War Sonar Infrastructure and Acoustic Archeology".
Thursday Nov 5th @ 3pm EST (UTC-5)

This presentation explores the sound of Cold War sonar infrastructure which, from the late 1950s to the early 1990s, monitored large swaths of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans to detect and track nuclear submarines. I provide an overview of my work in the past two years documenting and analyzing an abandoned sonar listening station in Nova Scotia through photography, audio recording, drone-based 3D modelling and sonification. I argue that while the ruins of military sonar infrastructure along the coastlines of North America provide researchers with a unique opportunity to retrace Cold War acoustic networks, there are considerable methodological and aesthetic challenges that arise when we engage in this type of “acoustic archeology.”

RSVP Here for Zoom link: https://forms.gle/UJ2ZxUS3SfQtKy4b8

--

++ Are you a Ryerson affiliated researcher or alumni interested in sharing your work or leading a discussion with the Ryerson Sound Studies Collective? Have an idea of a scholar we should invite to speak or another sound studies activity we should engage in together? Get in touch!

Please feel free to circulate widely

and let me know if you have any questions.

Stacey Copeland

--
bombardier-sshrc doctoral candidate
school of communication, FCAT