[acc-cca-l] Open CFPs - Disertaciones

Eduar Barbosa Caro eduar.barbosa at urosario.edu.co
Fri Sep 11 19:04:58 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Anuario Electrónico de Estudios en Comunicación Social “Disertaciones”
https://revistas.urosario.edu.co/index.php/disertaciones/announcement
Papers for Volume 14, Issue 2 (Jul-Dec 2021)

The multiple tensions that have emerged in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic further highlight those two faces that have always accompanied scientific-technical development. On the one hand, the growing distrust that technological risks bring to our environment and our health, and, on the other, the hope placed in that modern promise that only science and technology will give us all the answers and take us out of uncertainty.

The changes in the relationship between experts and citizens show that tension and the socio-scientific controversies in the field of scientific-technological research are now the study objects in scientific-technological, health, and environmental research.   It has been more than fifteen years since the World Summit on the Information Society in Geneva in 2003, where the representatives of the member States of United Nations announced the foundation of a society based on the exchange of knowledge, in which the multiplication of the information networks, digital literacy and the promised end of the digital divide would be the definitive factors to defeat poverty and ignorance.

The unlucky prophecy predicted something else than broken promises. The ambivalence of the so-called information and knowledge society is clearly shown in the fact that, on the one side, the global horizons grow, communications speed up and more sophisticated technical devices are produced, but on the other, citizens have more tools to question them. We encounter citizens that criticize, resist, and actively look for new forms of participation or generation of knowledge when they face the scientific and technological developments that affect them.

In a hyper-informed world, in which the once legitimate production of knowledge and the institutional figure of the expert is continuously questioned, (re)generating new and legitimate voices that dispute the formerly exclusive fields of knowledge, it becomes central to ask not only about the access to information but also about its uses for decision-making and in the different forms of citizen participation.

The Public Communication of Science and Technology in controversies about scientific-technical developments in health or the environment is a privileged space to observe these disputed fields. The appearance of actors whose legitimacy does not come from the conventional validation mechanisms and the voices of different rationalities in the diverse communicational spaces come together in public debates where it is not only pertinent to question the legitimacy, but also the positioning, the links, and participation of citizens.

In this call for papers, the Anuario Electrónico de Estudios en Comunicación Social “Disertaciones” looks for original papers dealing with socio-scientific/socio-technological controversies in the fields of health and environment. This refers (not exclusively) to:

  *   Socio-scientific controversies in health, especially those related to COVID-19
  *   Public Communication of Science and Technology models
  *   Sustainable development
  *   Social communication health campaigns, with attentive interest in study objects related to Coronavirus
  *   Circulation and appropriation of knowledge: non-professional expert citizens
  *   Environmental debates and sacrifice zones
  *   Big development project in protected territories
  *   The voices of experts
  *   Communication and citizen participation

The studies about socio-scientific and socio-technological controversies, especially in health and environment, have been great mines for knowledge production, particularly from the perspective of the Social Studies of Science and Technology (STS). However, this line of work has only partially penetrated the field of communication studies, especially in the Latin-American context. The Public Communication of Science and Technology models (deficit, dialogue, and participative) have drawn a line in which there is an undoubted need for further digging, especially with empiric research.

This volume of Disertaciones seeks to help researchers from different disciplines, but with a particular focus in the field of communication, to keep contributing in this direction. Deadline to submit manuscripts: October 15th, 2020.

Coordinated by Verónica Rocamora (veronica.rocamora at usach.cl) and Claudio Broitman (claudio.broitman at usach.cl), of the Santiago de Chile University.

Papers for Volume 15, Issue 1 (Jan-Jun 2022)

Functionally diverse, LGBT+, racialized or migrant people, as well as religious, cultural, national or ethnic minorities lack the privileges of the dominant social groups regarding their access to and control of media contents. Article 2.2 of the “Declaration on the Rights of Persons Belonging to National or Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Minorities” of United Nations defends that “persons belonging to minorities have the right to participate effectively in cultural, religious, social, economic and public life”. Hartley (2012) points out that minorities face difficulties in their access to media and, as a result, they are not able to bring their own point of view into the public opinion, and even when access is achieved, the coverage they receive tends to be disappointing[1]. It cannot be forgotten the role of media, not only as information sources but also as creators of interpretation frames and as shapers of awareness. The analysis of these frames is not only pertinent but also necessary and fundamental in order to understand the representation of minorities that takes place in them, but also in order to demand the representation that these groups can produce about themselves and their environment with an autonomous media praxis.

>From an intersectional perspective, these social categories are interrelated, and their own systems of oppression, domination or discrimination are combined and fed back, contributing to social inequality. Many questions arise here: What is the image depicted in media about minorities? Who and how is in charge of this representation? How are these stigmatized groups and minorities being tackled in media? Is it different the representation in traditional fiction and non-fiction formats and in the new transmedia hybrid formats?
The present special issue is open to diverse proposals in which the representation of minorities in said formats, as well as in journalism and in audiovisual ones (television, photography, radio, transmedia…) is analyzed. This way, it is expected to dig into the question of whether the image offered by the new media system around these groups goes further than the well-known vicious circle that keeps underrepresentation and stigmatization.

In this call for papers, the academic journal “Disertaciones” is looking for original articles tackling communication about minorities and stigmatized groups. The next lines of research are suggested, although other proposals addressing the general issue are also welcome:

  *   Representation, reception and media access of LGTB+ people.
  *   Representation, reception and media access of functionally diverse people
  *   Representation, reception and media access of religious minorities
  *   Representation, reception and media access of migrant or racialized people
  *   Representation, reception and media access of national or ethnic minorities
  *   Representation, reception and media access of cultural minorities

Deadline for the submission of manuscripts: January 15th, 2021.

Articles accepted before the publication of the issue in January 2022 will be published as preprint in the web of the journal.

Coordinated by María Marcos Ramos (mariamarcos at usal.es) y Beatriz González de Garay (bgonzalezgaray at usal.es), from the University of Salamanca (Spain).

[1] Demands for broadcast access are based on a reflection theory of the media – that is, that the media ought to reflect the plurality of different groups, politics or lifestyles that can be identified outside the media in social life. Many groups argue that their access to television is blocked and that as a result they are unable to establish their point of view into the public mind. The assumption often is that the blockage is caused by a more or les deliberate conspiracy by the media to exclude them. Even when access is achieved, ‘minority groups’ are often disappointed with the coverage they receive.