[acc-cca-l] Citizen Lab Fellowship: Surveillance, Digital Security, and Race

Sara Bannerman sara.bannerman.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:29:49 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/06/citizen-lab-fellowship-surveillance-digital-security-and-race/

Citizen Lab Fellowship: Surveillance, Digital Security, and Race

Recent protests on racial justice and police brutality have put a spotlight on systemic racism and inequality in the United States, Canada, and beyond. Just as anti-Black racism has shaped legal and political structures leading to continued discrimination, so too has it impacted the design, creation, and application of technologies. Specifically, surveillance technologies have become central tools for policing. When these tools are deployed in the criminal justice system, their use can further institutionalize discrimination and oppression.

The Citizen Lab is also aware that the information security community has long standing problems with diversity. These problems cannot be allowed to continue unchallenged and we stand firmly in solidarity with calls for structural changes to correct this course. In the absence of deeply integrated and meaningful representation across a spectrum of communities and experiences, we risk perpetuating systemic racism in our own work. We also miss out on creativity, talent, and opportunities to make progress on some of our world’s most pressing problems.

As an academic institution focused on the advancement of human rights within the technological sphere, we are committed to addressing systemic racism and inequality while also making our own space more representative of the communities we serve.

To better achieve these goals, we are pleased to announce a fellowship program on issues related to surveillance, digital security, and race.

To address the lack of diversity in the information security research community this fellowship is for applicants who identify as Black (including Black Africans and people of African heritage from the Caribbean, North America, and Latin America)

Application Deadline July 27 2020, 11 PM EST

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/06/citizen-lab-fellowship-surveillance-digital-security-and-race/