[acc-cca-l] Call for papers: Marketing-based initiatives to prevent radicalization: Proposing guidelines for public policy

Isaac Nahon-Serfaty inahonse at uottawa.ca
Wed Jul 8 07:43:32 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Professor Marie-Louise Radanielina-Hita from HEC Montréal is co-chairing a special issue at Journal of Public Policy & Marketing entitled: “Marketing-based initiatives to prevent radicalization: Proposing guidelines for public policy”. Here is the link to the special issue and its PDF version: https://www.ama.org/2020/06/22/call-for-papers-journal-of-public-policy-marketing-marketing-based-initiatives-to-prevent-radicalization/.

JPP&M is a reputable and highly ranked journal, which is published by Sage and the American Marketing Association (AMA). This journal is also associated with its own conference “Marketing and Public Policy Convention” taking place every June in Washington DC.

For this special issue, we plan to organize a special session  at the 2021 Winter AMA (Feb 19-21, Florida). It is a pre-approved special session and we need a couple of presentations. We need an extended abstract (700) words by the end of July 2020. Should you want to present at the special issue, I would need a firm Yes now. But you would only be required to send the abstract by the end of July.

Scope: In light of current issues (e.g., global response to Mr. George Floyd’s murder), the special issue and special section are very inclusive and deal with a wide range of topics such as racism, hate, and intolerance (i.e., white supremacist groups), and how this filters into other aspects of society through a marketing lens (cf. the paragraph I cc-d). So the objective is to include papers as part of an overarching effort to understand how to reduce hate, intolerance, racism, oppression, and injustice.

«In line with JPP&M's vision (Martin & Scott, 2020), the general purpose of this special section is to “invite” marketing scholars to join this discussion, and to show to policy makers the vital role that marketing could play in preventing radicalization, and in reducing its related outcomes (such as hate, intolerance, racism, oppression, and injustice)…. For instance, research that documents the current global movement against racism toward black communities would be a good fit with this special section.

A second related issue is disinformation (i.e., “fake news” or propaganda). We need to better understand how disinformation can contribute to consumer radicalization by fueling hate toward some groups (Schwarz & Holnburger, 2019). By feeding on public insecurities (e.g., racial tension, immigration or cultural differences), this type of inflammatory content can promote inaccurate beliefs about some groups, thus creating a culture of fear, hate and revenge (Grégoire et al. 2010; Stein 2019). This type of information may, in turn, have an effect on how members of those communities are perceived in the marketplace, where they go shopping and what these people consume, (e.g., Alkayyali, 2019; Pittman, 2017).