[acc-cca-l] After Fact and Journalists at Work

Ivor Shapiro ishapiro at ryerson.ca
Tue Jun 9 16:15:10 MDT 2020

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear CCA colleagues,

I’m excited to invite you to a virtual preview screening next week of Lindsay Fitzgerald’s movie After Fact (Journalism in the Age of Post-Truth)<http://www.afterfact.ca/> —and to review a unique new series of free teaching materials<https://cwjs-ecmj.ca/mobilization/> about Canadian news media and journalists.

Lindsay's film crew shadowed CBC national investigative journalist Harvey Cashore, Brampton Guardian reporter Radhika Panjwani, Toronto Star City Hall reporter Jennifer Pagliaro, and Hamilton crowd-funded indie reporter Joey Coleman, as they set out to tell the stories of their communities and our world. The resulting cinema-verité documentary shows, without commentary, how and why journalists do their jobs in a period of—well, as a communications scholar, you can finish that sentence as well as I can.

The movie was inspired by work for the SSHRC-funded Canadian Worlds of Journalism Study<https://cwjs-ecmj.ca/> (CWJS). We interviewed journalists across Canada about their ideas and practices, and compared their responses with those of news workers in 66 other countries and reported our findings to the CCA<http://cca.kingsjournalism.com/?p=400>, in the Canadian Journal of Political Science<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/canadian-journal-of-political-science-revue-canadienne-de-science-politique/article/just-who-do-canadian-journalists-think-they-are-political-role-conceptions-in-global-and-historical-perspective/DCB9ED6A6D9F808E88A8A1373228B5B8>, and elsewhere<https://cwjs-ecmj.ca/publications/>.

To spur discussion of journalism and news production among students, the CWJS is also releasing Journalists At Work: Thinking About News in the Age of Post-Truth<https://cwjs-ecmj.ca/mobilization/>, a set of four customizable lesson plans for use in media-related teaching.

The teaching materials include presentation slides, discussion questions, quizzes, readings, and movie scenes. Topics include fake news, news deserts, social media, and what could replace traditional news platforms and approaches.

For sample teaching materials and other details, please fill in the request form<https://cwjs-ecmj.ca/mobilization/> or simply reply to this email. There is no charge for viewing or using the materials and you are free to adapt them in any way you choose, except for the movie clips.

To view the movie, please book a pay-what-you-can ticket at AfterFact.ca<http://www.afterfact.ca/>. The educators' preview period is June 16th to 30th.

To inquire about an educational licence to screen the full movie, please write to Lindsay Fitzgerald<mailto:info at afterfact.ca> or ask your library contact to do so.

Please let me know what you think of all this!

Stay safe,

- Ivor.

Ivor Shapiro
Professor: School of Journalism

[cid:D4C61498-1E0D-416E-AD05-E4928EC8951C at home]
80 Gould Street (Room RCC177)
Toronto, ON M5B 2K3 Canada
M: +1-416-709-4669
ryerson.ca/journalism<http://ryerson.ca/journalism>     ivor-shapiro.com<http://ivor-shapiro.com/>