[acc-cca-l] CfP - Food Matters and Materialities: Critical Understandings of Food Cultures

Myriam Durocher MyriamDurocher at cunet.carleton.ca
Mon Apr 27 12:49:47 MDT 2020

Hello,

Can you please share the call for paper attached along with the message below on your mailing list? We think that the Conference theme might be of interest for some of the members of this mailing list.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Myriam Durocher

Postdoctoral fellow, Carleton University (Canada) & University of Sydney (Australia)

Dear all,

We invite you to submit a paper proposal for the Conference, Food Matters and Materialities: Critical Understandings of Food Cultures, which will be held at Carleton University in Ottawa (Canada) from May 6-7, 2021 (see below).

We will follow closely how the Covid-19 situation evolves and will adapt the Conference accordingly, but at this stage we are still working on the organization of an in-person event.

Due date for paper proposals: June 10th, 2020.

Please share widely!

Kindest regards,

Myriam Durocher

Postdoctoral fellow, Carleton University (Canada) & University of Sydney (Australia)

****

Call for papers:

Food Matters and Materialities: Critical Understandings of Food Cultures

Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada

May 6 and 7, 2021

Food cultures are developed and enacted through a web of social and cultural relationships that produce food matters and knowledge, and food-related practices. Works emerging from critical food studies have demonstrated how uneven power relationships take form within these food cultures and create unfair and unequal relationships to and through food (ex., Carolan, 2016; Koc̦ et al., 2012; Slocum & Saldanha, 2016). These power relationships materialize in particular food matters, or materialities (as inspired by new materialisms), and in the elaboration of a wide range of food-related practices, such as food production and harvesting, circulation, preparation, control, and consumption.

Current food cultures are permeated by worries that concern food production and consumption, environment and human health. We conceive that these concerns and issues, and the solutions proposed to address them, are part of (as much as they are the result of) the knowledge and power relationships at play in our current food cultures. Inspired by Stacy Alaimo and Susan J. Hekman’s 2008 call for the consideration of materialities, we contend that social sciences and humanities are crucial to think about and with food matters/materialities so as to engage with positivist sciences such as dietetics, medicine, biology and biochemistry, engineering, etc., all of which produce and address food-related issues and as such, participate in (trans)forming food matters and cultures.

We are interested in questioning the emergence of food matters/materialities and the heterogenous networks and power relationships they are embedded in and that they contribute to (re)producing. The Conference’s theme revolves around “matters”, to reflect our will to address how food matters/materialities emerge in and engage with particular food cultures.

Papers could question how food matters/materialities are produced, harvested, controlled, distributed, circulated, wasted, consumed, commercialized, and tested, and how all of these practices are tied to particular food cultures and particular food knowledge. They could also address how food matters/materialities come to matter, and contribute to the creation of as much as they are embedded in power related issues and relationships. For example, papers could work at re-complexifying how we understand the relationships between food, environment and health, so as to question how they are the resulting materialization of unequal power dynamics. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

  *   Food matters/materialities
  *   Food production and consumption
  *   Food and social inequalities
  *   Food cultures and foodways
  *   Food and climate change, and/or biodiversity changes, and/or Anthropocene
  *   Food and environment
  *   Food and sustainability
  *   Food and activism
  *   Critical perspective on food diet(s) and nutrition/nutritionism
  *   Food and bodies
  *   Food and non-human/more-than-human
  *   Food and human/more-than-human geographies
  *   Food and health, and/or food and health/disease risks assessment and management
  *   Food and gender, race, age, class, disability, or approached through intersectionality

We will prioritize contributions that explicitely address these topics or issues or any other of interest according to the present call for papers from/with a critical perspective. This critical perspective can work at deconstructing or questioning what is taken-for-granted, left unquestioned. It can also take form through the criticism of the power relationships at play, negotiated by/through/within our food cultures and food matters/materialities.

Abstracts of 300-500 words or queries can be submitted by June 10, 2020 to myriamdurocher at cunet.carleton.ca<mailto:myriamdurocher at cunet.carleton.ca>

Full papers will be due by April 7, 2021.

We will undertake the preparation of a special issue to be published in the Food, Culture & Society Journal out of the Conference. More details will be provided later.