[acc-cca-l] call for proposals

Jaqueline McLeod Rogers j.mcleod-rogers at uwinnipeg.ca
Tue Nov 12 13:19:02 MST 2019

Please send Extended Call for Proposals to membership (now due November 25, 2019):
[cid:image002.png at 01D59964.21259C70]Call:
DEMETER PRESS
CALL FOR PAPERS
Mothering/Internet/Kids
Editors: Fiona Joy Green and Jaqueline McLeod Rogers

Computer technology and the internet - specifically the interpersonal and communicative element of social media-have become increasingly influential and ubiquitous over the last decade. The smart phone puts computers in many hands, and in North American homes, it's common for family members, regardless of age, to have their own devices. This anthology explores how this avalanche of technology has affected family environments, dynamics and mothering. While other studies have focused on how mothers use the internet to access information and online communities, few have honed in on how the internet has changed culture and conduct in the home and introduced new challenges to mothering. This collection examines the pressures of mothering children who are increasingly implicated in digital life, even as mothers are experiencing similar, often unacknowledged, dependency. It also questions the role mothers play in providing and updating computer technology and maintaining spaces of access.

The title, Mothering/Internet/Kids, slashed together, implies that we're mothering both the Internet as well as kids. While meant to be playful, it also strikes a serious note and conveys a layered approach: we are not simply mothering children who have grown up in the internet age, but also "managing" the computer, a machine whose intelligence-cum-sentience is receiving increasing recognition as scholars ponder how we define being human in a post-human age. The collection examines how the intimate presence of computer technology in our homes and on our bodies affects family life. An equally pressing question is how the internet as a conduit to a global world has changed perceptions and enactment of parenting/mothering. The anthology tests the assumption that computer technology in the home has an impact on domestic life and family relations similar to that of electricity and home appliances during the post-second-world war period. It builds forward from research studying how mothers are affected by the affordances and dangers of online activity and computer technology by foregrounding questions of how the computer affects the family home and culture and mother/ parent/ child relations.
Topics linking computer technology to family life may include, but are not limited to:
*       Principles and practices mothers use to regulate their own and their children's online social media practices
*       Influences and impacts of easy and constant access to the internet on family lives and relationships and spaces
*       Adaptive effects of computer technology within the home on the roles, activities and responsibilities of mothers, mothering and motherhood (changing home entertainment and how we shop, pay bills, communicate and read)
*       Mediated reality through AI/social media/computer technology; the digital dinner table; screenings for one
*       Current practices that represent and express [changing] cultural patterns and attitudes
*       The internet as a closed feedback loop and instrument of social control; strategies developed to resist the power of the internet to shape and monitor how we act and think
*       The (still untapped) liberatory possibilities of the computer; new soft wares and algorithms.

Please send a 250 word abstract and 50 word bio to Dr. Fiona Joy Green f.green at uwinnipeg.ca and/or Dr. Jaqueline McLeod Rogers j.mcleod-rogers at uwinnipeg.ca by November 15, 2019. Final accepted chapters are due October 1, 2020.

Dr. Jaqueline McLeod Rogers,
Professor and Chair, Department of Rhetoric, Writing, and Communications
University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg MB CANADA R3B2E9