[acc-cca-l] CFP: CCA Panel: Grappling with feminisms in our methodologies

Melodie Cardin MelodieCardin at cmail.carleton.ca
Tue Oct 8 12:31:48 MDT 2019

Potential CCA Panel: Grappling with feminisms in our methodologies

We seek contributions to a panel for the upcoming Canadian Communication Association conference, Tuesday June 2 - Friday June 5, 2020 at Western University, London Ontario.

Deadline to submit a proposal for the panel: November 10, 2019

What are the challenges, opportunities, pitfalls, and strengths of grappling with feminisms in our methodologies, whether in research or teaching? We seek engagements with methodology as a nexus point for considering the integration of feminist theory and feminist praxis. We follow Morrow, Hawkins, and Kern in arguing that, “the insights of feminist ethics and a feminist geographical lens are crucial for bringing much needed reflexivity and reciprocity” (2015, p. 527) into research and pedagogy, and therefore methodology needs to be considered through the lenses of diverse viewpoints, ethics, and rigour. While there is no one agreed upon “feminist” research methodology, some of the commonalities to feminist research traditions include: attempts to dismantle traditional researcher-subject hierarchies, approaching research as a relationship between research and active participants; the use of standpoint and experience as a crucial resource; engagement with the researcher’s own community connections and consideration of life experience as a strength that provides insight and access; feminist theory and critique reaching into all aspects of work, from topic selection to modes of dissemination; inclusion of feminist principles in classrooms and mentorship, curriculum development and departmental structure, and more. To this end, we seek presentations in any of the following areas:

  *   Incorporating feminisms into research design, analysis and/or dissemination

  *   Incorporating intersectionality and moving in and beyond personal subject positions

  *   Employing feminist theory in the classroom

  *   Epistemological approaches to being an ally

  *   Feminist methodology and critical race studies, Indigineity, migration

  *   Feminist methodology, queer studies and trans studies

  *   Feminist methodology and critical disability studies

  *   Feminist methodology and class

  *   Feminist methodology and embodiment (ie., age, fat studies, pregnancy, reproductive rights, women’s health, sexuality studies)

  *   Affect (ie., responses to operationalizing methods, responses to facing institutional and/or systemic barriers, affect in teaching and learning contexts)

  *   Feminist praxis with(in) Research Ethics Boards, feminist research ethics

  *   Limitations of and challenges with feminist methodologies

Please submit your 350-500 word paper proposal, following guidelines in attached CFP from CCA, subject line “CCA Methodology Panel,” to Panel Chairs Emily Hiltz and Melodie Cardin: emily.hiltz at carleton.ca AND melodie.cardin at carleton.ca. Successful submissions will be notified by Nov. 25, and provided with a panel number, in order to separately submit their abstract to CCA.