[acc-cca-l] Tenure-Track Position in Intercultural Communication at Ryerson University

John Shiga jshiga at ryerson.ca
Tue Oct 30 14:12:35 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

The School of Professional Communication at Ryerson University invites
applications for a tenure-track position in Intercultural Communication.
Details are below. The job posting and application portal can be accessed
here:

https://hr.cf.ryerson.ca/ams/faculty/preview.cfm?posting_id=518460

Thanks,

John

--
John Shiga, PhD
Chair, School of Professional Communication

--
*Tenure Track Faculty Position Intercultural Communication*

FCAD, Prof. Communication
Deadline to Apply: Monday, December 3, 2018

Located in downtown Toronto, Ryerson University is a distinctly urban,
culturally diverse teaching and research institution offering more than 100
undergraduate and graduate programs, distinguished by a strong commitment
to excellence in teaching, research and creative activities, to over 45,000
students. Ryerson is known for its culture of entrepreneurship and
innovation and is recognized as a city builder, as it continues its growth
through award-winning architecture and expansion of its campus.

*The Opportunity: *

The School of Professional Communication (http://procom.ryerson.ca/) in the
Faculty of Communication and Design at Ryerson University invites
applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant
Professor level, in the area of Intercultural Communication.

The successful candidate will have a focus on communication across social
and cultural divides such as those of gender, race, class, ethnicity,
sexuality, language, age, nationality and ability/disability. We are
particularly interested in receiving applications from candidates who focus
on ethical issues and power relations in intercultural communication and
who situate their work in the contemporary context of global migration,
transnational organizations, international disputes, colonialism and
decolonization, or diasporic communities.

The appointment shall be effective July 1, 2019, subject to final budgetary
approval.
The School of Professional Communication consists of 17 tenure-stream
faculty members. ProCom offers innovative Bachelor and Master’s programs
that integrate theory and practice. As an interdisciplinary School, ProCom
focuses on teaching and research that bring creative and critical
communication approaches into industries, organizations, and communities.
Our students and faculty investigate the intersections of text, sound, and
image in an array of digital, discursive, and social contexts.  Our faculty
prides itself on the excellence of its research and on the quality of its
teaching. We are interested in candidates that will contribute to our
existing research and teaching strengths by bringing innovative and diverse
perspectives and experiences to the work.

*Responsibilities:*

The successful candidate will engage in a combination of teaching, research
and service duties. The candidate will be expected to pursue innovative and
independent research program or creative activity that is externally funded
and produces cutting-edge, high quality research or creative products in
Communication.

The candidate will contribute to our undergraduate (BA) and Master of
Professional Communication programs through teaching, mentoring and
supervision of students to facilitate junior scholars and diversify the
field. The candidate will engage in maintaining an inclusive, equitable,
and collegial work environment across all activities and will demonstrate
an ability to collaborate with other university departments, partners and
the community.

*Qualifications:*

Candidates must hold an earned Ph.D. in Communication Studies or a closely
related field by the appointment date.

The successful candidate must present strong emerging scholarly research or
creative projects or works that are active, innovative and impactful
resulting in achievements such as peer reviewed publications, working
papers, book chapters, public policy contributions, presentations at
significant conferences, awards and accolades, strong
endorsements/recommendations by referees of top international stature,
studies, writings or creative productions disseminated by other suitable
means and other noteworthy activities that contribute to the visibility and
prominence of the discipline.

Evidence of excellence in teaching must be provided through a teaching
dossier that outlines the teaching philosophy, teaching accomplishments,
including experience with course/curriculum review/development, excellent
pedagogical practice, sample syllabi and teaching evaluations. Evidence of
strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to supervise
undergraduate and graduate students should also be highlighted.

Candidates must have a demonstrated commitment to our values of Equity,
Diversity, and Inclusion as it pertains to service, teaching, and scholarly
research or creative activities, including a demonstrated ability to make
learning accessible and inclusive for a diverse student

Candidates must demonstrate the ability to contribute to the life of the
School and the University through collegial service.

*Equity at Ryerson *

At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path
to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to
this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as
fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan
outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.

Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to
upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us
to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to
correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we
encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically
disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit
peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons
with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please
note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however,
applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud
to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a
Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016 and 2017. To learn more about
our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative
educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU,
@RyersonHRand @RyersonEDIon Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.

*How to Apply:*

Applicants must submit their application online via the Faculty Recruitment
Portal (click on “Start Application Process” to begin) by Monday, December
3, 2018.

The application must contain a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, a
statement of research interests, teaching dossier, results of teaching
evaluations and names of three individuals who may be contacted for
reference letters.

In order for the University to comply with the Government of Canada’s
reporting requirements, candidates must indicate in their application if
they are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident by including one of the
following statements in reference to their status: “I am a permanent
resident or citizen of Canada”OR “I am not a permanent resident or citizen
of Canada”. Candidates are not required to specify their country of origin
or citizenship in their application.

Applications and any confidential inquiries can be directed to the DHC
Chair Dr. John Shiga at jshiga at ryerson.ca.

Any inquiries regarding accessing the Faculty Recruitment Portal can be
sent to Sumentha D’Souza, HR Advisor, at sumentha at ryerson.ca. Aboriginal
candidates who would like to learn more about working at Ryerson University
are welcome to contact Ms. Tracey King, M.Ed., Aboriginal HR Consultant,
Aboriginal Recruitment and Retention Initiative, at t26king at ryerson.ca.

This position falls under the jurisdiction of the Ryerson Faculty
Association (RFA) and relevant information can be found as follows:

RFA Website: www.rfanet.ca.

RFA Collective Agreement:
https://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/faculty-affairs/rfa-collective-agreement/RFA_CA_2015_to_2018.pdf

RFA Benefits:
https://www.ryerson.ca/hr/employee-resources/rfa/full-time-LTF/benefits/

Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our
community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further
diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including,
but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons
with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender
identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply
but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given
priority.