[Stremes-l] Global Loop Orchestra for November Performance

kfields ken.fields at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 13:37:23 MDT 2017

Hi All,
In honor of Pauline Oliveros.

LEGACIES OF PAULINE OLIVEROS

November 3-4, 2017

Brooklyn College, City University of New York

Call for Participation

https://goo.gl/forms/4MikWaVynPuQBmVH2 <https://goo.gl/forms/4MikWaVynPuQBmVH2>
Deadline September 1, 2017

I am proposing:

Global Loop Orchestra. Multicity Network Performance.

Networked time/space is a challenging new sonal situation in which to orient the ear: who is where, where is here, when is now, what are the sonic/visual material actors. Each city will run one sparse loop upon which each site will perform with one instrument. The loops and instrumentation should occasionally drop out completely for deep listening. Each site will be clustered with other participants in nearby timezones so that they may rehearse independently of other timezone regions (East Coast US, Asia/Australasia, Europe, etc). The requirement of the piece is that listening must be primary consideration such that musical space is left for other nodes to be heard and observed.

Here is a diagram (below) I have in mind for loosely synced loops between regions.
It’s based on ancient machines that simulated the complex mechanisms of planetary/cosmic cycles.
For example: East coast might be top of graph, west/mid US middle, and Asia/australia bottom.
Something like that.

Who would like to participate in this piece?

We will rehearse through October, one day/night a week. We can separate into timezone regions
for rehearsals, but should put it together with all participants a couple times before Nov performance.

Talk to some of you in Nagoya in a couple of weeks!
Ken