[Emsan-l] EMSAN Taiwan Database

Battier Marc Marc.Battier at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Nov 1 21:46:17 MDT 2010

Hello,

As discussed at the EMSAN Day in Beijing last week, here is the URL
address of the EMSAN database set up by Prof. Huang in Taipei.

http://emsan.lib.ntnu.edu.tw/

Please visit the database site and report any problems and advices.

We're having a couple of tasks to complete before the database can be
fully developed with input from China, Hong Kong and Singapore.

First, the specification fields for the nature of the piece need to be
refined. It is felt that the "data format" field isn't precise enough.
Should there be additional fields or should we create subfields within the
"data format" field?

One way to address the problem is to add several pieces which belong to
different groups of specification (such as fixed medium, stereo, with
video, or laptop with interactive software, to take two very different
specifications). We're working on assembling a selection of such pieces
and we will enter them in the database for evaluation.

Second, we need to set up a list of terms to be used in the search field.
A simple case is the use of different terms which point to the same
object.
Example:
Max/msp / Max Msp / max-msp / maxmsp etc.

or a case where the emphasis is on real-time production (possibly
interactive):
interactive system / real time system / real-time / live processing / live
csound / pd etc.

Of course, this thesaurus must be multi-lingual.

We will include the thesaurus in the database system and we will publish
the thesaurus for assessment and contributions.

The EARS database will be useful:
http://www.ears.dmu.ac.uk/

Thank you.

More later,