[Emsan-l] EMSAN database structure proposal

lonce wyse lonce.wyse at nus.edu.sg
Sun Jan 10 09:05:25 MST 2010

Gentlemen,

    I can't help thinking of the some of the other performance contexts
that people have producing music in.
A significant proportion of sonic artwork these days does not have a
fixed duration. Either it varies, or is "infinite" (running continuously
as an installation, for example).
    This also leads to related issues about work that exists in the
context of dance, video, the web, or installations with other kinds of
objects and processes. I know it seems to open a Pandora's box, but it
might be beneficial to identify some of these as categories rather than
lump everything in to a free-text "other" field. An audience-interactive
sound sculpture is such a different beast from a 64-channel work
diffused in a concert hall and again from a Pauline Oliveros type of
performers=listeners meditation. It seems like the structure of the
database could and should reflect some of the basic paradigms composers
are working in regularly now.

Best,
           - lonce