[Emsan-l] EMSAN database structure proposal

Kevin Austin kevin.austin at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 6 20:07:02 MST 2010

Thank you.

I have come up with a number of questions, and suggestions. The first is the division of the identification field and production data into more, specific areas.

[I]
Identification needs to identify the work -- the 'metric' aspects of the piece.

Technical aspects of presentation.

Studio, hardware, software etc

[II]
Program Notes and Destination are personal (psychometric) comments by the composer.

[III]
First performance (or publication data) is historical in nature.

[IV]
Critical commentary; classification; style / type etc ... [What I call the 'value added' portion, or the 'intellectual properties' eg, "high acousmatic", "soundscape", "glitch", IDM, industrial, concrete, installation etc ...]

It is not clear to me how to enter a work that may have two or more composers. Will there be a second database (relational database) for contact information?

In the "title of work" field, will alphabetization take place with or without articles, eg, is the piece "The Moon", under 'T', 'M' or both. How is a title such as " ... and more later ..." alphabetized?

Duration is probably the next field, and this would either be "fixed", "approximate", "variable" or "open".

"First performance" [which should be lower in the list] may need to be extended to allow for date of broadcast, publication on CD, appearance on the web (MySpace or YouTube), or situations where the work is 'performed' and live streamed.

I would like to consider a "type" field as well. Simple "types" being: live, mixed, fixed media. There would also be a first subset of 'multi-media', and then Instrumental Data and Electroacoustic Data.

The database should avoid links. The data should be imported into the database, or a gloss should be presented. There are already millions of dead links on the web.

Diffusion Data is a translation from ? Perhaps Publication / Distribution is a better term here. Currently more than 98% of ea work is unpublished but may be available on CD-R, in archives, on web-based juke boxes, MySpace, YouTube etc.

Kevin