[Emsan-l] greetings for EMSAN day

Kevin Austin kevin.austin at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 24 12:49:52 MDT 2009

Thank you. I too send my best wishes for a successful and fruitful
meeting and future.

My own experience here has been described as a 'caucasian in qi
pao' (traditional chinese dress, cheongsam). My interests in the
composition of four pieces for guzheng and fixed media, was in
presenting new music to an audience that did not have contact with
"new music" -- the owners and patrons of restaurants in a western
"Chinatown".

> Nowadays, composers of electroacoustic music  have a powerful tool;
> the computers. Using the digital technology, we can go farther.
> Composers can transform any sounds in various ways, even to produce
> remote characteristics from their originals.
>
> Here, however, composers will face a question; In what way process
> sounds? and why? In what way structure music?and why?

These pieces (linked below) are not "new musics" in the [western]
experimental music tradition, but are 'new' when placed in the context
of, for example, the Twelve Girl Band. It was not my intention to
invade or steal from oriental cultures, but (partly because of the
audiences), to respect the cultures I was coming in contact with, and
to in a sense pay homage to both east and west.

The first three are based on traditional chinese melodies, and are in
effect ea accompaniments to established pieces. I did not compose the
part played by the guzheng, and (merely) sought to 'enhance' and
provide (another context) for the existing works. I asked the
performer to help me understand what to do, and how to do it. She told
me stories. I took the images, titled the pieces, and created the ea
elements using only the sounds of a guzheng. As Dr Ishii notes
however, some of these sounds appear as quite distant from the source,
for example the opening "gong", and later, the "crickets".

The three pieces:
Temple
http://www.sonus.ca/app/ui/more.php?Language=en&MediaID=971
http://cec.concordia.ca/electrobox/sonus02/Austin_Chou_Temple.mp3

High Moon
http://www.sonus.ca/app/ui/more.php?Language=en&MediaID=972
http://cec.concordia.ca/electrobox/sonus02/Austin_Chou_High_Moon.mp3

Moonlit Night
http://www.sonus.ca/app/ui/more.php?Language=en&MediaID=973
http://cec.concordia.ca/electrobox/sonus02/Austin_Chou_Moonlit_Night.mp3

will not be programed in concerts of new music, nor in concerts of
traditional music, in either east or west, for they fall outside of
the aesthetics of new music in the west, and of traditional musics in
the east

Waves and Tides of Time is a more complex situation for it builds upon
my experiences with the first three pieces. In Waves, I composed the
guzheng material, and with the collaboration of Chih-Lin Chou, was
able to turn my sterile notes into living musics. The structure is
multi-cultural being based on the five (eastern) elements, clearly
audible, and five modalities of a non-chinese pentatonic structure. I
was surprised to hear comments that the most "fearful" part of the
piece was that of "earth". Many in the audience who had lived through
earthquakes in Taiwan related directly to the sounds in ways that I
had not ever considered.

http://www.sonus.ca/app/ui/more.php?Language=en&MediaID=1501
http://cec.concordia.ca/electrobox/sonus03/Austin_Waves_performance.mp3

This work was also programed for a similar event in Beijing in the
autumn of 2004, Qi and Complexity: http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=19170&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

A number of works that Dr Ishii may be making reference to regarding
oriental composers working with western (orchestral) idioms are
available inexpensively on Naxos CDs. I recommend them highly for
their historical and cultural importance. And I must not forget, The
Map, by Tan Dun, available in both chinese and english versions on
Deutsche Grammophone DVDs.

Best wishes to all on the second day of shuangjiang, the arrival of
hoar frost.

Kevin

A fifth piece in this series is for guzheng, chinese percussion,
violin, video by Freida Abtanm and 12-channel sound, is far removed
from traditional oriental roots. http://www.sonus.ca/app/ui/more.php?Language=en&MediaID=1844
and http://cec.concordia.ca/electrobox/sonus03/Austin_Masks_Mirrors_Shadow.mp3

The guzheng is tuned in a scordatura fashion as is now not unusual in
the advanced guzheng repertoire, and there is a Berg Violin Concerto
quote near the end.