[Emsan-l] EMS09 Conference - deadline extension

Battier Marc marc.battier at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 08:04:26 MST 2009

International Conference EMS09
(Electroacoustic Music Studies Network 2009)

22nd  25th June, 2009  Centro Cultural Borges
Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Extended deadline for submissions - January 31st

The EMS Network has been organised to fill an important gap in terms
of electroacoustic music, namely focusing on the better understanding
of the various manifestations of electroacoustic music. Areas related
to the study of electroacoustic music range from the musicological to
more interdisciplinary approaches, from studies concerning the impact
of technology on musical creativity to the investigation of the
ubiquitous nature of electroacoustic sounds today. The choice of the
word, 'network' is of fundamental importance as one of our goals is to
make relevant initiatives more widely available
Presenting EMS 09 Main Theme

Heritage and future
During recent years the electroacoustic community has been celebrating
different dates related to the birth of electroacoustic music. Such
moments are often a time for analysis and reflection, which is very
important for a better understanding of our past, and allows us to
review our present and to think about our future.

It also make us wonder: how do we imagine the future of
electroacoustic music? And at the same time, what do we wish for the
future of electroacoustic music?

At this point, many other questions arise, all of them connected to
the same root: what is the role of musical education in this path? To
what extent is our heritage significant in terms of our seeking to
extend our sound-music boundaries or, instead, to what extent does
this heritage generate barriers which limit our imagination?

Are we looking to develop a self-sustained electroacoustic art or do
we think that electroacoustic music would be best integrated with
other disciplines in the future?

Will technical developments limit our future steps or have we reached
a stage of maturity which allows us to seek in the technology that
which we need?

Is it possible to think about new languages (or derived new ones),
starting from what is already known today as electroacoustic music?

Conference Committee
-  Marc BATTIER (MINT-OMF, Universit de Paris-Sorbonne, France)
-  Ricardo DAL FARRA (UNTREF, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
-  Leigh LANDY (MTI, De Montfort University, UK)
-  Raúl MINSBURG (UNTREF, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
-  Daniel TERUGGI (INA/GRM, Paris, France)

Dates and location
22-25 June, 2009 – Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero,
Centro Cultural Borges (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

More information and details at
http://www.ems-network.org/ems09/index.html