[Emsan-l] China Labs

Ken Fields kfields at ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 18 12:51:18 MST 2008

Dear EMSAN,
The domain of Daohaus under which I've been hosting
a couple of essential projects conducted in China will need to migrate
to a new server ASAP.

http://terminology.daohaus.org/tiki-index.php
http://china-labs.daohaus.org/tiki-index.php

I suggest that a technical team be assembled and
transfer the data. It can have a new interface or use the current
TikiWiki
as an immediate solution.

The terminology translation and thesis database are separate projects
from
the proposed EMSAN composition database, but we might setup an
integrated
look and feel to create a more comprehensive project.

Who will be working with me on this in the coming weeks? Obviously we
need the participation of our friends in Taiwan, presumably the
location of
the Asia EMSAN web site.

By the way, what will the domain name be for this? A subdomain of the
computer science dept at the university? Should there be one
subdomain (EMSAN) with the three projects, or three separate subdomains.

Should the Chinese EA music terminology project indeed be moved intact
or should it
be incorporated into Zhang Ruibo's CHEARS project - which could be
moved to the Taiwan site - as the interface for that needs the attention
of a sophisticated design team? The Chears project also needs to be a
peer-reviewed project,
with a board of experts, or it will have less value and sustainability
(Mungo could have
a skate board accident). The terminology team might also collaborate
with the technical
team doing the EARS site to conform to a standard global EA music
glossary (knowledge base).

There is also a translation of Curtis Roads book in Japanese - maybe
those terms could
be entered alongside the Chinese subject index. Then we could have the
chinese simple
and complex Hanzi side by side with the Kanji version. I assume that
would be interesting.

Given that these are three divers projects/problems, maybe we could
set up three teams.

Ken