[Chacmool-l] This Week's Newsletter

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 4 13:17:43 MST 2015

Hey All,

This week is super busy so let's get right to it.

1.Anarky Talk
2.Department Lectures.
3.Resume Work Shop
4.Oppertunity to Study In Africa
5.Anth Field School
6.Arky Beyond Academy Talk

1.Anarky Talk
This Wednesday's talk will be given by Linda Fedigan is titled
"Deciphering Sources of Differential Reproductive Success in Monkeys". As
always it will take place in ES 614 and coffee and snacks will be provided
by The Kula Ring.

2.Department Lectures
Attached to this email is the next two lectures being given by candidates
for the teaching position in our department. Check them out!

3.Resume Workshop
This is just a quick reminder that Colleen Hughes, one of our very own
grad students and former Chacmool President too boot, will be helping out
all of you CRM hopefuls build the perfect resume. It'll take place March
12th at 4:30pm in ES 702. Space is seriously limited so don't forget to
sign up! Coming from an office stacked with CRM employees this is very
valuable info that you do not want to miss!

4.Oppertunity to Study In Africa
Check out this awesome opportunity!

On behalf of Bridge Education Abroad Institute (BEAI), I am writing to you
today to
inform you about our summer programs in South Africa. Our institute plans
short
programs all across the world, to provide students with unique
opportunities to
experience different political cultures while strengthening their
leadership and
diplomacy skills. Our programs draw a diverse group of students together
from all
over the world to discuss pressing global issues while exchange cultural
values. In
a rapidly globalizing world, we believe these experiences are invaluable
to the
success of students in the global job market.

For the summer of 2015, we have programs scheduled in Cape Town and
Johannesburg for
the months of June, July and August. This program will include lectures from
experienced professors and guest speakers from all over the globe,
including the
United States of America. A few of our professors include:

·         Professor Dr. Paul Joseph (Tufts University, USA)- Author and
Previous
Director of the Peace and Justice Studies Program

♦   PHD from UC Berkeley

♦   Previous president of the national Peace Studies Association

♦   Former Distinguished Chair for the United States-India Education
Foundation
(Fulbright program)

·         Professor Dr. Solava Ibrahim (University of Cambridge, UK) –
Director of
MA in Poverty and Development a the institute for development policy and
management

♦PHD and MPhil from Cambridge
·         Service Learning Day with Educo Africa (Local NGO) – Vision-
Young people
understanding their roles as powerful agents of change – actively,
confidently and
positively contributing towards a better global community.

♦ Paired with 12 local South Africans for a meaningful day of service

The students will enrich their knowledge of South Africa’s history,
international
politics, and economics while also enjoying travel to famous and historic
places. We
also encourage students to get to know one another and share cultural
values through
planned social events.

·  Nelson Mandela’s Jail Cell at Robben Island
·  Big 5 African Safari
·  Apartheid Museum
·  Visit President Nelson Mandela’s home in the Soweto’s
·  NGO Service Learning day with Local South African Leaders

Please Note: We limit our South Africa programs to 12 students per program to
enhance the students learning between our professors and students.

Even with the summer close at hand, there are still plenty of students still
figuring out their plans for the upcoming break. We hope you will consider
recognition of our institute as an option for your students who are
looking for
international opportunities. We would greatly appreciate if you can pass the
information about our program on to your students. If you believe you have
students
at your university that would be interested in this unique opportunity,
please
inform them to contact us via
info at beainstitute.org<mailto:info at beainstitue.org>

Thank you very much for your support, and to find more information about our
program, you may visit http://www.beainstitute.org/beai/south-africa/

Best Regards,
Benjamin Doherty
President |
Ben.Doherty at beainstitute.org<mailto:Ben.Doherty at beainstitute.org> |+1
(941) 302-0483
www.BEAInstitute.org<http://www.beainstitute.org/> |2750 Stickney Point Road,
Sarasota, FL 34231

5.Anth Field School
The Kula Ring Sent us this sweet field school!

Hello everyone,

We are now accepting applications for the Summer 2015 University of Calgary
Internships in Development program in Ghana.

Selected students will spend 3-4 months in country (beginning in May,
2015) and will
receive $6000 CDN funding through University of Calgary International.

To be eligible, you must be a full time, degree-seeking student at the
University of
Calgary in your 3rd year or above with an overall GPA of at least 2.8
(B-). U of C
Masters and PhD students are also welcome to apply. Applicants must also
be Canadian
citizens or Permanent Residents.

We are looking for senior undergraduate students in Development Studies or
a related
field. Students in other majors that are relevant to one or more of the
Canadian
International Development Agency's three priority themes (increasing food
security,
securing the future of children and youth and stimulating sustainable
economic
growth) will also be considered. Position descriptions can be found at
https://www.ucalgary.ca/studyabroad/abroad/ucid/ghana

Application Deadline: Monday, March 23, 2015

For more information on the internship positions available, and to apply
please see
https://www.ucalgary.ca/studyabroad/abroad/ucid

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me
(crpacker at ucalgary.ca<mailto:crpacker at ucalgary.ca>) or Anayancy Solis
(solis at ucalgary.ca<mailto:solis at ucalgary.ca>).

We look forward to receiving your application,

Colleen Packer
---
Colleen Packer
Manager, International Learning Programs
University of Calgary International
MSC 275 - 2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4 Canada

6.Anarky Talk
This week's Archaeology Beyond the Academy, "Facts and Finds of the Bow
River Flood
Survey" will be presented by Brian Vivian, Lindsay Amundsen-Meyer, and
Kevin Thorson
of Lifeways of Canada Limited. After this week we will be back on the regular
biweekly schedule.

The talk will be held March 5th at 5 PM in the Tom Oliver Theater, first
floor of
Earth Sciences, on the University of Calgary campus. Check out the Poster
for all the details

P.S. Word on the street is there is a visiting primatoligist giving a
lecture in our department. You should probably check out the Pontzer
poster attached to this email.

Ta Ta For now,
-Chacmool