[Chacmool-l] This Week's Newsletter

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 4 13:41:49 MST 2015

Hey all,

This week's newsletter is a bit long but full of really great stuff.

1.Change of Date for Arky T-shirt Day
2.Winter Meet and Greet
3.Anarky Talk
4.Arky Beyond Academy Talk
5.Italy Preservation Fieldschool

1.Change of Arky T-shirt Day

It has come to our attention that we scheduled our T-shirt day during the
reading break. It has now been scheduled for Friday February 27th!

2. Winter Meet and Greet

The food has been made and the alcohol bought. All we need now is for our
wonderful members to join us this Friday, February  6th at 5pm in ES859
for our annual Winter Meet and Greet. As always food is free and alcohol
is cheap. We hope to see everyone there!

3. Anarky Talk

Next Wednesday, Feb 11th, Adrienne Offenbecker will be talking about
Bioarchaeological Analysis of Elite Burial Tomb with Probable Human
Sacrifice at Paquime, Chihuahua Mexico. As always it'll take place at 12pm
in ES614.

4.Archaeology Beyond Academy

The next instalment in this series is called Aboriginal Employment and
Skills Enhancement Programme and will be given by Sean Pickering. It's
taking place tomorrow (5th) at 5pm in ES614. Check out the attached poster
for details.

5.Italy Preservation School

Check this out guys,
We are now accepting applications for our summer 2015 field school, the
San Gemini
Preservation Studies Program, now in its 16th year, dedicated to the
preservation of
cultural heritage and offering students the opportunity to study and
travel in
Italy.

Session One (June 1 - 26)
Building Restoration* Revised program
Restoration of Traditional Masonry Buildings in Italy
Sketching and Analyzing Historic Buildings
Ceramics Restoration
Introduction to Conservation of Archaeological Ceramics
Workshop on Ceramics and Ceramics Conservation in Italy

Session Two (July 13 - August 7)
Book Bindings Restoration
Introduction to the Restoration of Book Bindings in Italy
Workshop on the Restoration of Book Bindings
Paper Restoration
Introduction to Restoration of Paper in Books and Archival Documents
Restoration Workshop – Paper in Books and Archival Documents
Traditional Painting Materials & Techniques
Traditional Painting Methods and Techniques in Italy, including Issues of
Weathering
and Aging
Painting Workshop – Traditional Painting Methods and Techniques in Italy
Preservation Theory and Practice in Italy
Restoration in Italy – Issues and Theory
*Field Projects:
Restoration of the façade of the Church of San Carlo (13th Century)
Analysis of medieval buildings in San Gemini as part of an urban study of
the city

Inter-Session Programs (June 27 – July 10)
Structural Treatments on Canvas Paintings (June 29 – July 10) Workshop
An expert workshop dealing with the restoration of canvasses: the
structural support
of oil paintings. The program includes theoretical classes and practical
workshops.
Inter-session Field Trip – Italy (June 28 – July 7)
A ten day trip visiting Siena, Florence and Rome: places of cultural
interest, the
urban and historical development of each town, and specialized visits to
places of
interest to restorers.
Inter-session Field Trip – Athens (check-in Saturday, June 27 - check-out
Friday,
July 10)
A twelve day visit of Athens: an exploration of the history of
preservation and
conservation issues facing the city lead by some of the top Athenian
experts in
their field.

To find out more about our program and review the syllabi, please visit
our WEBSITE.

Our courses are open to students from various disciplines, both
undergraduate and
graduate. All lessons are taught in English.

If you know any students, scholars, or others interested in this type of
study,
please inform them about our program. We would appreciate it if you could
list our
program on your organization's website as an available educational resource.

We have a 2015 flyer that you may wish to post on your department notice
board or
forward to interested parties. You can print this from our website. Please
let us
know if you have any problem printing and we can email you the PDF.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes, Polly Withers
Associate Director, San Gemini Preservation Studies Program

Have a great week guys!

-Chacmool