[Chacmool-l] Happy New Year!

Chacmool Archaeology Association chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Sun Jan 12 17:50:03 MST 2014

Happy New Year Chacmoolians!!

We hope your holidays were wonderful and your first week of classes
treated you well! Unfortunatly this email is going to be a short novel
with many attached posters but don't let that scare you! There are some
great opportunities to be found if you just read! We've attached a super
cool poster about backpacking with a purpose that everyone should check
out! Here's a list of everything else you guys need to know!

1.New Office Hours
2. This weeks Noon Hour Lecture
3.ASA Lecture
4.Jordan Field School
5.Institute For Field Research Field School and Bursaries!

1.New Office Hours

With a new year comes new office hours for your Chacmool Execs! Here's the
deets

Brooke: Thursday 11am-12pm
Megan: Monday 10am-11am
Christina: Tuesday 2pm-3pm
Chip: Wednesday 11am-12pm

2.This Week's Noon Hour Lecture
As always the lecture will take place at noon on Wednesday with snacks,
coffee, tea and hot chocolate! It will be given by our own Robyn Crook!
She will be talking about  Roman Vindolanda: A Look at Everyday Life on
the Frontier. See the Attatched Poster for more info! It should be great!
We are currently looking for people to donate snacks for this semester!
Sign up sheet outside the Chacmool office in ES 826.

3. ASA Lecture
This month's ASA lecture will be Jan !5th at 7:30pm in ES 162. It is
titled Understanding Geographical Constraints on Human Land Use Patterns
in the Eastern Slopes of Alberta. It will be given by  Robin Waywitka and
Darryl Berezuik. These lectures are a great way to meet other
archaeologists! See the Attatched poster for more info!

4.Jordan Feildschool
Are you looking for field school opportunities? This one may be the one
for you! Check out the Document with Rev in the Title for more info!

5. Institute for Field Research Field schools and Bursaries
The Institute for Field Research
(www.ifrglobal.org<http://www.ifrglobal.org>) has
posted its 2014 field schools.  Among the dozens programs across the world
offered
this year, four are located in the Andes:

1.
Peru-Taraco<http://www.ifrglobal.org/programs/south-america/peru-taraco>,
lead by
Abigail Levine (UCLA)
2.
Peru-Chincha<http://www.ifrglobal.org/programs/south-america/peru-chincha>,
lead
by Ben Nigra (UCLA), Chip Stanish (UCLA) and Henry Tantelean (San Marcus,
Lima)

3. Peru-Vitor<http://www.ifrglobal.org/programs/south-america/peru-vitor>,
lead by
Maria Cecilia Lozada (University of Chicago), Hans Barnard (UCLA) and Augusto
Cardona (CIARQ)

4. Colombia-Ciudad
Perdida<http://www.ifrglobal.org/programs/south-america/colombia-ciudad-perdida>,
lead by Santiago Giraldo (Global Heritage Fund).  This program is for highly
motivated students only as it is in a rough terrain, conditions are basic and
students will work at the heart of the jungle with little contact with the
outside
world during the field school.

New for the IFR for 2014 is our scholarship program.  We will provide two
types of
scholarships this year.  The first type is merit based and we will provide
a number
of $2,500 awards.  The second type is of demonstrated financial need based
and we
will provide a number of $2,000 awards.  Students may apply to both
scholarships and
if awarded, can get up to $4,500 from the IFR.  Scholarships cover only
IFR field
schools and are not transferred to any other program.

Have a great week!
-Chacmool