[Chacmool-l] February 2013 Newsletter

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 6 10:17:00 MST 2013

Hi Everyone!
Here is the February Newsletter. Good luck on your midterms!!

1.	Lunch time Speaker
2.	Arctic Institute Speaker
3.	Archaeological Society of Alberta Speaker
4.	Photography Contest
5.	Archaeology TV Night
6.	Artifact Illustration Workshop
7.	Chacmool General Meeting
8.	Career Fair

1. Archaeology Department Noon Hour Lecture Series
    	Speaker: Lindsay Amundsen-Meyer (University of Calgary)
    	Where: Earth Sciences 859
    	When: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 from 12:00-1:00 pm
Happy Trails to You: Geographic Information Systems Analysis of the Old
North Trail

2. Arctic Speaker Series (for more information:
http://arctic.ucalgary.ca/eventsarchive)
    Two speakers this month!

	Speaker: Joel Harper (University of Montana)
	Where: Science B 144
	When: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 4:00pm
Greenland Ice Sheet Contribution to Sea Level Rise Buffered by Meltwater
Storage in Firn

	Speaker: Robert Barclay (University of Calgary)
    	Where: Science B 144
    	When: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:00pm
Being Nocturnal in a Diurnal World: Bats in the North

3. Archaeological Society of Alberta Speaker Series (Every Third Wednesday
of the Month)
     	Speaker: Kisha Supernant (University of Alberta)
     	Where: Earth Sciences 162 (Tom Oliver Room)
     	When: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm
To build, or not to build: The Role of Rock Features in Understanding
Northwestern Coast History

4. Photography Contest
	Closes: Monday, February 25th, 2013
	Winner announced at the General Meeting on March 1st.  Please see
attached poster for rules and enter at chacmool at ucalgary.ca. WHAT!! No
entries yet! Did we mention there are prizes and the winners pictures
will be printed and posted around the Department and on our Facebook
page.

5. Archaeology TV Night
	Where: ES 859
	When: Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Will open at 4:30 and showings will
start at 5pm.
Come for all or come for one. We’ll be showing archaeologically themed TV
shows. Examples of proposed shows are Parks and Recreation, Community, 3rd
Rock From the Sun and more.  Free pop and popcorn. Socializing afterwards
at one of the quality establishments on campus.  Stay tuned to our
Facebook page for details.

6. Artifact Illustration In Archaeology Workshop
	Facilitator: Shawn Morton
	Where: ES 859
	When: Tuesday, February 26th 5:30-7:30pm
This workshop provides methodological justification and practical
application of archaeological illustration techniques.  Participants will
learn to draw and process archaeological illustrations for modern
publication and research purposes and will practice with a collection from
the University of Calgary. Tools and supplies will be provided. Sign up
sheet is outside the Chacmool office! Space is limited.

7. Chacmool General Meeting
	Facilitators: Chacmool Executive
	Where: ES 859
	When: Friday, March 1 from 1-2pm
Members are invited to the Chacmool Archaeological Association General
Meeting. We will provide a review of Chacmool’s year of activities,
accounts, and election information.  We hope you will participate in
discussions about a proposed change to the Constitution.  The photo
contest winners will also be announced. An agenda will be sent out closer
to the date.

8. Career Fair
	Facilitators: Colleen Hughes and Sean Goldsmith (ACA)
	Where: ES 859 (venue may change depending on the number of companies
attending)
	When: Saturday, March 2 from 10am to 1pm.
Need some help polishing your resume – contact Career Link at the
university – ucalgary.ca/careers. The Association of Consulting
Archaeologists (ACA) is also working on a tip sheet specific to
archaeologists; we’ll pass it along as soon as it becomes available to us.