[Chacmool-l] November News Update 2

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 27 17:56:40 MST 2012

And for this week:

1)	Noon Hour Lecture
2)	End of Semester Gathering and Gingerbread Competition
3)	Alaska Field School Opportunity

1) Noon Hour Lecture: Updates from the Jungle: The 2012 Field Season at
Ka’Kabish, Belize
	By : Cara Tremain, PhD Student, Department of Archaeology
	When : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 from 12:00 – 1:00 pm
	Where: Earth Sciences 859
Once thought to have been a small and subordinate centre, excavations over
the past three years at the ancient Maya site of Ka’Kabish have
demonstrated that it was actually a thriving autonomous site for most of
its existence. Architectural and ceramic data point to a long period of
occupation at the site, from the Middle Preclassic (1000- 300 B.C.) to the
Terminal Classic (A.D. 850-1000). Excavations in the summer of 2012
contributed towards our understanding of the earliest occupation at the
site, revealing significant information about the Preclassic period. In
addition to a burial with a rich variety of offerings in the plaza area
and a burial in the chultun area, other notable discoveries included
several previously unknown residential groups that have extended the site
map considerably. Ka’Kabish is now emerging from the jungle better than
ever before.

2) And now a word from Megan, Chacmool Social Coordinator
Hello all!
Next week on Friday (aka the last day of school), we will be having a
wrap-up featuring a Gingerbread Competition. Basically, you guys can enter
this competition with a team of up to 5 people and the team with the best
display wins an awesome prize. The theme is "Everything Archaeology".
Rules and details will be posted sometime this week around the department.
However, one thing to note is that it has to be built on Friday at the
competition and there will be a time limit. You guys can bring in props,
but it cannot be already cut and created (you must cut and assemble during
the competition). If you want to bring in your own things, that's fine,
but we will be providing gingerbread to cut from and toppings, etc. I will
post the criteria and everything, but in the meantime, start thinking
about what you would like to do and who your team will be. We will be
selling drinks there too (e.g. Bailey's and hot chocolate) so it should be
a really good time before exams. Hope to see you all there!!

3) Field School Opportunity (see attachments)
The Adelphi University Department of Anthropology welcomes applications from
graduate and undergraduate students interested in Anthropology or related
disciplines to join one of two 2013 archaeological field school
opportunities in
Alaska. In addition to our undergraduate program in the Susitna valley (ANT
333.001), this season we are offering an additional advanced field course
in the
middle Tanana valley of interior Alaska (ANT 733.001).

Email Brian Wygal at bwygal at adelphi.edu<mailto:bwygal at adelphi.edu> or
visit our website for additional information on these or a variety of
other programs offered on the island of Crete.
http://academics.adelphi.edu/artsci/ant/research.php