[Chacmool-l] December Newsletter

Chacmool Archaeology Association Chacmool at ucalgary.ca
Tue Dec 4 10:24:33 MST 2012

HI All!

HURRAY!!
We’re almost finished this semester!!

1)	Noon hour speaker
2)	Gingerbread Competition and End of Semester Wrap-up
3)	Merchandise (read – Gifts)

1) Noon hour lecture -  Late Pre-Hispanic Pedestrians of the Carribbean
Lowlands of Costa Rica
	By: Adam K. Benfer
	Where: Earth Sciences 859
	When: December 5, 2012 from 12-1pm
In Costa Rica and the Circum-Caribbean, identifying the locations,
functions, and evolution of past networks of human movement contributes to
understanding pre-Hispanic interregional interactions and exchanges. I
hypothesize late pre-Hispanic routes of interregional communication among
the village of Nuevo Corinto in the northeastern Caribbean Lowlands and
contemporaneous population centers in the Central Highlands of Costa Rica.
I test these hypotheses through archival research on historic
interregional roads, archaeological reconnaissance of late pre-Hispanic
features, and least cost path predictions of human movement. I discuss the
potential functions of these routes and evaluate their role within the
regional network.

2) Gingerbread Competition and End of Semester Wrap-up
	Where: Earth Sciences 859
	When: December 7, 2012 – Doors open at 4:30pm and competition starts at 	5pm
	Cost: $5 per person (to help with goodie costs) – Cash bar.
Don’t miss out on the fun! Who has what it takes to make the best
Gingerbread archaeologically themed creation? Sign up sheets for teams are
outside the Chacmool Office (ES 826). Rules can be found at our Facebook
page http://www.facebook.com/groups/chacmool/
This event is for everyone – even if you are not competing there is lots
of socializing to do.

3) Can’t find that gift for the person who has everything! How about
Chacmool hoodies or t-shirts? Come by the office to check them out – we
have a variety of sizes. Hoodies - $40 for Members, $45 for Non-Members
and T-shirts - $15 for Members, $20 for non-members.

Good luck on all your exams and we hope you have a safe and fantastic
holiday!