[Alta-Logic] Fw: Colloquium this Thursday: Wenjun Jiang "Revisiting optimal insurance under adverse selection"

Sacha Ikonicoff sacha.ikonicoff at ucalgary.ca
Mon Oct 18 09:23:06 MDT 2021

Dear Peripatetic researchers,

I thought I would forward you the Math & Stat Department colloquium announcement for the term.  With the exception of Clifton, these are all new Math/Stat faculty members who have been hired in the last few years.  It would be a good chance to see what they do.  Carlo Maria, in particular, may have overlapping interests with members of our seminar.

Thanks,

Kristine and Sacha
________________________________
Revisiting optimal insurance under adverse selection

This paper revisits the design of optimal insurance from an insurer's perspective when subject to adverse selection issue. Different from the literature, the insureds who are exposed to different types of risks are allowed to apply different preference measures. By assuming that the insureds' preferences are dictated by distortion risk measures that always over-estimate the tail risk, we figure out the optimal policy menu without assuming the parametric form of indemnity functions. We also find that the insureds who deem their losses more risky than those of others will always purchase full insurance, which is consistent with the results in past studies. Furthermore, we show that in the presence of adverse selection the optimal policy menu always outperforms the optimal single policy in the sense that the former can yield a larger expected profit for the insurer. This outcome also echoes some existing results in the literature.

Upcoming Colloquia:

  *   October 28th   -    Carlo Maria Scandolo<https://events.ucalgary.ca/livewhale/?events_edit&id=390942>
  *   November 4th –   Clifton Cunningham<https://events.ucalgary.ca/livewhale/?events_edit&id=390940>
  *   November 18th – Tracey Balehowsky<https://events.ucalgary.ca/livewhale/?events_edit&id=390941>