[Alta-Logic] Register Now: Calgary Mathematics and Philosophy Lectures

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 9 15:51:59 MST 2021

Message not displaying properly? Try the web version
<https://go.ucalgary.ca/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUs_CbAAsborFeJadWZ_2lX70AvGVDrRowz1c21n5BP96_Y7O8oN3XRP7_62XvzKIWQnHEcMXcAFX0UZHoi0VObhZbDy5gDkbW-94AKTAZlQ&md_id=147411>.

<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/mYyjONeLIwRv-d0pLFtx90XCbdaLuUsSatkpP-WCWK0=/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>

*You're invited*

Join us on March 18, 2021 for the Calgary Mathematics and Philosophy
Lectures. We are pleased to welcome *Dr. Patricia Blanchette* from the
University of Notre Dame to talk about: /Geometry, Logic, and
Philosophy: The Case of the Parallels Postulate./

This annual event is presented in partnership with the departments of
Mathematics and Statistics
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUuVs68KhMoggCd3Nu8aAeL9WnDMDHabBpHLBYjjTLiHXkwGp2llXpD9scDOXnICbDCg=>
in the Faculty of Science, Philosophy
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUjfQgVUC-5RyB0AcbrsbKns6jAh8o-MiOnby8goZEikloPRfZfGkxCUYZQ4A7EZ9ztI=>
in the Faculty of Arts, and the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical
Sciences
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUoQPEfAS75sh7_IHSMJaXNdwU-sObI57uVUDQ9rW1CwlxzWF8evnLoOxoLF3ph9-vK4=>
(PIMS).

RSVP NOW!
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUl5QSWyDqcNsRmuXicCLzmexXXCLTmszbc3kTYyZ5Ynp4xoXtP8WtYb3Sak78oV4L2Q=>

/Interested in this talk, but unable to attend the webinar?Sign-up
here<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUu6nuvULqgE7zgVC8B5ukO5YKoHJ8D1DigixaUU36nlm0BdUy_55M_XwSXUhNhVFY7Y=> and
we'll send you a link to the webinar recording when it's available./

*Geometry, Logic, and Philosophy:
The Case of the Parallels Postulate <#>*

Dr. Patricia Blanchette, University of Notre Dame
*Date:* Thursday, March 18, 2021
*Time / Location:* 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. | Online

*Abstract*
One of the most important techniques provided by modern logic is the use
of models to show the consistency of theories. The technique burst onto
the scene in the late 19th century and had its most important early
instance in demonstrating the consistency of non-Euclidean geometries.

This talk investigates the development of that technique as it
transitions from a geometric tool to an all-purpose tool of logic. Dr.
Blanchette will argue that the standard narrative, according to which
our modern technique provides answers to centuries-old questions, is
mistaken. Once we understand how modern models work, she'll argue, we
see important differences between the kinds of consistency-claims that
would have made sense e.g. to Kant and the kinds of consistency-claims
that we can demonstrate today. We’ll also see some
philosophically-interesting shifts, over this time period, in the kinds
of things that we take proofs to demonstrate.

*About the speaker: *

Patricia Blanchette is Professor of Philosophy and Glynn Family Honors
Collegiate Chair in the Department of Philosophy at the University of
Notre Dame. Prior to coming to Notre Dame, Blanchette taught in the
Department of Philosophy at Yale University. Blanchette works in the
history and philosophy of logic, philosophy of mathematics, history of
analytic philosophy, and philosophy of language. She is an editor of the
Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, and serves on the editorial boards of the
Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic and of Philosophia Mathematica. She
is the author of Frege’s Conception of Logic (Oxford University Press 2012).

science.ucalgary.ca
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUnmzuXTyAzWVoE77qhin4TlDCdwR7-QR6jEP4XMwWEL0nU3I6mL7pGq14C4hDrf6pGk=>

You have received this message because you are a member of the
phildept-l at mailman.ucalgary.ca
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/0vRYkp4yFzukItwRSRe-HC_DzP7QKaamNtS43wqF4rHAK4eo7Cdxj4dkWhwy_FmV/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>
Mailman list at the University of Calgary.

University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB  T2N 1N4
CANADA
© University of Calgary 2021
Privacy Policy
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/QSpnC7qFP77vgwIWLRqhEM6BsKDQMkAT3VWKNJRxkXk_j963NLlP2hfl8DJhdo5JKQkwvqrdffV2nXQX0xmrAzty9VaZVGKibGpZbQsXgFY=/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>

facebook
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/uq3EykqQY7h0Yyhe2BWhMOTLCW91DdGCCNXnjgKrDYaMRnutir5hpXBRA1L4_v8Y/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>
Twitter
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/qRrMJDEUlv6ss-mBIC1z6p2el-pu7IqsYbKEfyoxklQ=/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>
LinkedIn
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/fG5-PlwEnZR-IoSdwCtjItQx1HC-DKahmKd-0sA2rae8LicVcY2N996vtDQ6dRc8gJRwwyXYXHrHfxpu8OJT7w==/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>
YouTube
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/M9Y3nowLDCcEv8uSbJAkaUXhEBB5rN7Y_3x87XmxUFS35t1OoiaimSpn4-SOkn54wBONvweZ88ICQ9WpB-I0Yg==/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>
Instagram
<https://em.ucalgary.ca/dc/WhZcq50CsoLLiaLsfDq43hva6gRxGqFkRapVQKPWPJF9p93PFftII4IcX2O8Ki0Q/MTYxLU9MTi05OTAAAAF7trFWUgqOUpXTcCLr-dGPstXPrcMoglvPLuJmGb89mp11km3vjpqEOvjHDi4wUCFfr3srVRc=>