[Alta-Logic] BLM Statement

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Mon Jun 22 12:15:21 MDT 2020

Hello all,

The Logic Supergroup has drafted a statement in support of Black Lives
Matter starting on the ShutDownSTEM day of action (June 10). It is ready
to be posted on the Logic Supergroup site; I will be posting it on the
Peripatetic Group website tomorrow. It follows below:

Statement on Black Lives Matter

The killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor by police have resulted
in deep sadness and outrage worldwide. This sadness and outrage has
swept through academic communities as well. We members of the Logic
Supergroup join our colleagues throughout academia in denouncing
anti-Black violence in North America specifically, and systemic racism
affecting Black, Indigenous, and People of Color generally. We are
committed to working with our BIPOC colleagues in logic and with our
colleagues in other fields to speak out against injustice and to work to
make logic an inclusive community. Black Lives Matter.

In early 2020, logic groups around the world began to combine their
meetings into an online Logic Supergroup as a reaction to the
coronavirus pandemic. As part of #ShutDownSTEM
<https://www.shutdownstem.com/>, the Supergroup held 24 hours of
Inclusive Logic on June 10, 2020 to build concrete actions against
racism in logic.

Here are four concrete actions that we identified as important and have
committed ourselves to immediately, and which we encourage our member
groups to commit themselves to as well:

We commit to doing our small part to increase the diversity in logic, as
a discipline, by first increasing the diversity represented in our
speaker series. We acknowledge that we have, to this point, failed in
this regard. We acknowledge, in fact, that we have failed to have a
speaker series that even manages to be representative of the diversity
that is present in logic, let alone one that contributes to increasing
this diversity.

Second, we commit to seeking funding from a broad range of sources in
order to overcome barriers to participation in the supergroup, and in
logic meetings and seminars more broadly. Such funding could be used,
for example, in order to allow for graduate student travel stipends if
the supergroup holds in-person events in the future, or to aid
researchers who need equipment in order to participate in our virtual
events now. This will lessen some of the barriers faced by BIPOC
students to entering and participating in the logic community.

Third, we commit to hosting periodic events to discuss, evaluate, and
develop resources for logic education that are inclusive and that
encourage participation in logic from a diverse audience. This includes
setting regular Logic Supergroup meeting times to discuss further
actions in support of inclusion. We recognize that addressing issues of
inclusivity and working in support of anti-racism within individuals and
within academia require continued recommitment and ongoing, sustained
effort.

Fourth, we commit to developing, promoting, and enunciating guidelines
and codes of conduct for our conferences, workshops and other events, as
well as other events associated with our constituent organizations.