[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic seminar Friday

Benjamin MacAdam benjamin.macadam at ucalgary.ca
Wed May 20 13:20:18 MDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

Peripatetic will be a bit early this week:

Speaker: Jonathan Gallagher
Time and location: 12:00 Friday, May 22 on Zoom
Title: Abadi and Plotkin's language in terms of differential structure
Abstract:
Abadi and Plotkin defined the Simple Differential Programming Language (SDPL) to be a functional programming language with a first order type system where every program can be reverse differentiated.  Importantly this language has conditionals and recursive functions.  In this talk we will develop the denotational semantics and source code transformation semantics from a categorical point of view using the technology of reverse differential join restriction categories.  In particular, using an interpretation into such a category we will show that source code transformations are modelled correctly, that the trace-differentiation technique is modelled, and we will express a denotational semantics for SDPL into any such category with enough points.   Finally, we will use the theory of these categories to derive a modification to the operational semantics that yields an exponential speedup on the differentiation of loops.  Also, as a bonus, we will do recursion in a restriction category!

Zoom handle:
https://ucalgary.zoom.us/j/6183695417

Meeting ID: 618 369 5417
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,6183695417# US (Germantown)
+13126266799,,6183695417# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)