[Alta-Logic] research event in applied category theory next week!

Jonathan Gallagher jdgall84 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 10:56:58 MDT 2019

Dear Peripatetic Seminar,

Next week, there will be a small group gathering at the University of
Calgary to pursue some recently discovered applications of category theory
to machine learning.  We will be holding working sessions in the afternoon
in MS 452 and/or 522 Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri.  Please feel free to drop by and
say hi and meet our guests who are working with us during the week.

Our guests will include:

   1. Shin-ya Katsumata: project leader of group 0 of the Erato MMSD
   project,, Tokyo.
   2. David Sprunger: project researcher of group 0 of the Erato MMSD
   project, Tokyo.
   3. Geoff Cruttwell: assistant professor in Math and Computer Science,
   Mount Allison University.

See http://peripatetic-seminar.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/wp/ where respective bios
will be posted soon, as well as details about public talks that will be
given (also see below).

This meeting is made possible due to funding from NSERC, PIMS, AARMS, and
the Erato MMSD project.

There will be a talk on *Tuesday at 12:30 in ICT 616*
*Speaker*: *David Sprunger*
*Title*: *Differential Categories, Recurrent Neural Networks, and Machine
Learning*
*Abstract*:
We review recent results using Cartesian differential categories to model
backpropagation through time, a training technique from machine learning
used with recurrent neural networks.  We show that the property of being a
Cartesian differential category is preserved by a variant of a stateful
construction commonly used in signal flow graphs. Using an abstracted
version of backpropagation through time, we lift the lift the differential
operator from the starting differential category to the stateful one.
*Bio*:
    David is a project research at the ERATO MMSD project in Tokyo.  This
project aims to extend formal methods and software verification techniques
to cyber-physical systems, with particular emphasis on applications to
automotive control and manufacturing.
    David received a PhD in mathematics at Indiana University in August
2017 as a student of Larry Moss.  His academic research interests are
primarily in coalgebra, logic, and category theory.  Since moving to Tokyo,
he has been developing an interest in quantitative refinements of
bisimulation and other coalgebraically defined structures.  He has also
been looking into deep learning and neural networks.

There will also be a talk by Geoff Cruttwell on Thursday at 12:30 pm,
details to be provided in a separate message.

Sincerely,
Jonathan