[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic Seminar

Ben MacAdam benmacadam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 16:00:07 MDT 2019

Date: August 30, Friday
Time: 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Venue: ICT 616

We will be meeting at the LDL at 3:30pm for a late lunch to welcome our new member, anyone interested is welcome.

Title: Reverse differentiation
Abstract:
The reverse derivative is a fundamental operation in machine learning and differential programming.  This talk will give an axiomatization of the reverse derivative.  We will then explore an interesting consequence of the reverse derivative: it forces a dagger structure on the linear maps, and forces the biproducts that exist to be dagger biproducts.  If time permits we will explore how partiality interacts with reverse differentiation.