[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic Seminar Monday 13:30 in MS 427

Matthew Burke matthew.burke1 at ucalgary.ca
Sat Mar 31 22:02:55 MDT 2018

Speaker: Rachel Hardeman

Time and Location: 13:30 Monday 2nd April in MS 427

Title: An Introduction to A-Homotopy Theory: A Discrete Homotopy Theory
for Graphs

Abstract: A-homotopy Theory was invented by Ron Aktin in the 1970s and
further developed by Helene Barcelo in the early 2000s as a
combinatorial version of homotopy theory. This theory respects the
structure of a graph, distinguishing between vertices and edges. While
in classical homotopy theory all cycles are equivalent to the circle, in
A-homotopy theory the 3 and 4-cycles are contractible and all larger
cycles are equivalent to the circle.

In this talk, we will examine the fundamental group in A-homotopy from
the perspective of covering spaces. We will also establish explicit
lifting criteria and examine the role of the 3 and 4-cycles in these
criteria.

http://peripatetic-seminar.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/wp/