[Alta-Logic] PLEASE REGISTER! Math & Philosophy Lecture, Thursday March 15

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Thu Feb 22 17:02:48 MST 2018

The annual Mathematics & Philosophy Lecture is coming up on Thursday
March 15. It's being promoted by the Faculty of Science alumni network,
and I just heard we're halfway to capacity! So please don't delay and
*register*! Info below:

    poster
    <https://www.ucalgary.ca/mathphil/files/mathphil/cmp-avigad-poster.pdf>

  Philosophy of Mathematics as a Design Science

    Jeremy Avigad
    <https://www.ucalgary.ca/mathphil/files/mathphil/cmp-avigad-poster.pdf>
    Carnegie Mellon University

    Thursday, March 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
    ST 147

In the history of philosophy, much has been made of the disagreements
between W. V. O. Quine and Rudolf Carnap on the nature of mathematical
and scientific knowledge. But when the dust settles, the points of
agreement are more substantial: mathematical and scientific reasoning
are shaped by the rules of our language, and these rules are, in turn,
adopted for pragmatic scientific reasons.

In this talk, I will take this perspective seriously, and regard
mathematics as a system of conventions and norms that is designed to
help us make sense of the world and reason efficiently. Like any
designed system, it can perform well or poorly, and the philosophy of
mathematics has a role to play in helping us understand the general
principles by which it serves its purposes well.

To that end, I will consider models of mathematical language currently
implemented in interactive theorem provers, which support the
formalization and verification of mathematical theorems. Using these
models, as well as reflection on ordinary mathematical practice, I will
try to extract some insights as to how mathematical language works, and
what makes it so effective.

Reception to follow in in ST 142

*Please register (free) by March 11
<https://netcommunity.ucalgary.ca/math-phil2018>*

*Jeremy Avigad <http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/avigad/>* is Professor of
Philosophy and Mathematical Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University. He
has done work in mathematical logic, interactive theorem proving,
philosophy of mathematics, history of mathematics, and automated
reasoning. He is currently leading the library development for the Lean
interactive theorem prover <http://leanprover.github.io/>.

/This talk is the fourth annual Calgary Mathematics & Philosophy
Lecture, co-sponsored by PIMS <http://www.pims.math.ca/>, the Pacific
Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, and Department of Philosophy
<http://phil.ucalgary.ca/> and the /Department of Mathematics
<http://math.ucalgary.ca/>/. The Mathematics & Philosophy Lectures aim
to introduce topics at the intersection of mathematics and philosophy to
a general academic audience. The event is free & open to the public; a
reception follows./