[Alta-Logic] Fwd: talk title, abstract

Kristine Bauer bauerk at ucalgary.ca
Mon Feb 19 18:36:38 MST 2018

Dear Peripatetic Seminar goers,

Sarah Yeakel (University of Maryland) will give the seminar lecture Tuesday, February 20 at 1pm in MS 427 (that is, tomorrow).  Her title and abstract are below.  Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Kristine

Title: Operads with homological stability

Abstract: For a carefully constructed operad M of surfaces, Tillmann showed that algebras over M group complete to infinite loop spaces. This result relies, in part, on Harer's homological stability theorem for mapping class groups of surfaces. We will review Tillmann's result and provide a more general framework which shows that operads satisfying a certain homological stability condition detect infinite loop spaces. This is joint work with M. Basterra, I. Bobkova, K. Ponto, and U. Tillmann.