[Alta-Logic] peripatetic seminar tomorrow

Jonathan Gallagher jdgall84 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:59:08 MST 2017

Details can be found here:
http://peripatetic-seminar.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/wp/?event=ben-macadam-and-priyaa-srinivasan-2

Alternatively see below.

*Where*: ICT616
*When*: 11:15 am on Friday, Nov. 10

*Talk 1 - Ben MacAdam*

*Title*: Linear/Non-Linear models in a 2-category: Part 1

*Abstract*:
A linear/non-linear model is a monoidal adjunction between a cartesian
category and symmetric monoidal category. Such an adjunction gives rise to
a coalgebraic modality which in turn a model of MELL.  Birkedal showed that
these results translate easily to fibred monoidal categories — here one

obtains a model in each fiber category.  We show that many of these results
can be further generalized to pseudomonoids in 2-categories with suitable
universal properties.

*Talk 2 - Priyaa Srinivasan*

*Title: Structures for decoherent*

*Abstract:*
This talk will introduce and develop the structure required for studying
decoherence in certain monoidal categories.  Our driving example is a
decoherence structure in CP*[FHilb]

Our goal is to move towards understanding the following:
Theorem:
Let C be a dagger compact closed category and C_{pure} be a subcategory of
C that inherits the dagger and compact closed structure. Suppose C_{pure}
has a decoherence structure with purification, then there exists an
invertible dagger functor from CP*[C_{pure}] -> C such that F(f \otimes g)
= F(f) \otimes F(g).