[Alta-Logic] peripatetic talk tomorrow

Jonathan Gallagher jdgall84 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:22:34 MDT 2016

We are pleased to announce a very special peripatetic seminar tomorrow
afternoon.

Speaker: Matthew Burke
Location: MS 522 at 2pm Friday September 30

Title:  Lie theory for categories using infinitesimals

Abstract:

In this talk we will describe a generalisation of classical Lie theory

in which Lie groups are replaced by a special type of category. First we

will review the main objects of study in classical Lie theory and Lie's

second and third theorems. We will also describe the established

generalisation of Lie theory involving Lie groupoids. Then we will

sketch how to construct two different approximations of a category in a

well-adapted model of synthetic differential geometry. The first uses

the nilpotent infinitesimals in synthetic differential geometry and the

second an intuitionistic double negation operator. Finally we show how

to state and prove Lie's second theorem for both of these approximations.