[Alta-Logic] peripatetic seminar this Friday

Jonathan Gallagher jdgall84 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:39:33 MDT 2016

We are pleased to announce a special peripatetic seminar this Friday.

Speaker: Laura Scull
Title: Atlases for Ineffective Orbifolds
Location: ICT 616 at 2 pm, Friday May the 6

Effective orbifolds were originally defined via charts and atlases,
analogous to manifolds.  In the current literature, they are often
defined instead via certain topological groupoids, which gives a more
convenient category for studying them.  These two approaches are known
to be equivalent and produce the same objects.  More recently,
applications arising in geometry and physics have led to an interest in
more general ineffective orbifolds.  However, the current
generalizations of the atlas definition do not correspond to the objects
 created by ineffective topological groupoids.    I will discuss a
project, joint with D. Pronk and M. Tommasini, where we develop an
alternate atlas definition for ineffective orbifolds.  Our atlases
generalize the existing effective atlas definition, and our definition
leads to the same objects as those defined by ineffective topological
groupoids.