[Alta-Logic] Fwd: Philosophy Visiting Speaker: Monday, August 25, MAX CRESSWELL "Scope and Notation"

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Wed Aug 6 11:04:51 MDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Philosophy Visiting Speaker: Monday, August 25, MAX CRESSWELL "Scope and Notation"
From: Merlette Schnell <schnell at ucalgary.ca>
To: Merlette Schnell <schnell at ucalgary.ca>
CC:

The Department of Philosophy presents

MAX CRESSWELL (Victoria University at Wellington)

"Scope and Notation"

MONDAY, AUGUST 25, 3:00-5:00 pm in Social Sciences Building, Room 1253

About the Talk

My aim in this paper is to make some remarks connecting the awareness of
scope in mediaeval logic with the role of the symbolic resources of
contemporary logic. In particular I will look at the Summa Logicae of
William of Ockham. I am not a mediaeval scholar, and what I say about Ockham
ought to be well-known. I have chosen Ockham since he represents one of the
highpoints of mediaeval logic, and his description of the truth conditions
of various statements in Book II is in almost every case identical with at
least one--sometimes more--of the meanings that you get when you interpret
the formulae of modern predicate logic which represent them.

About the Speaker

Well known for his work in logic (primarily philosophy of logic, modal logic
and formal semantics), Max Cresswell co-authored, with G. E. Hughes, what
are considered two classic studies of modal logic: An Introduction to Modal
Logic (Methuen 1968) and A New Introduction to Modal Logic (Routledge 1996).
He also has researched and published on Greek philosophy and the philosophy
of John Locke and F. H. Bradley. At Victoria University of Wellington since
1963, Cresswell is now professor emeritus and a member of the Centre for
Logic, Language and Computation. He became a Fellow of the Royal Society of
New Zealand in 2011.
Max  <http://www.cllc.vuw.ac.nz/max/> Cresswell's web page

Merlette Schnell
Manager, Budget & Administration
Department of Philosophy
The University of Calgary
SS 1256 | 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta  T2N 1N4
Tel: 403-220-5531 | Email:  <mailto:schnell at ucalgary.ca> schnell at ucalgary.ca