[Alta-Logic] peripatetic seminar

Jonathan Gallagher jdgall84 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 11:13:11 MST 2012

Greetings,

We have another peripatetic seminar scheduled:

Speaker: Mike Pors
Location: ICT 616 on Tuesday November 27 at 2 pm
Title: Simplicial Sets and Homology
Abstract:
A simplicial set is a nice combinatorial and categorical description of how
to assemble a space from the standard n-simplices, $\Delta^n$.  As with
$\Delta$-sets, constructions using simplicial sets require that faces be
glued to faces, a nice condition for proofs, but which does not require
that the two faces being glued together be homeomorphic, which allows for
more flexibility than $\Delta$-complexes.

In this talk, I will give an introduction to the basic theory of simplicial
sets and construct some familiar spaces using simplicial sets.  Finally, we
will look at how, to any simplicial set $X$, we may associate a chain
complex $C$, whose homology agrees with the homology on $|X|$, the space
constructed from the instructions encoded in $X$.