[Alta-Logic] Bernie Linsky on Russell's Paradox, Friday, 4pm

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 13 14:21:54 MDT 2012

Reminder: Bernie Linsky (UofA) will give this week's philosophy
colloquium:

"The Paradox in Russell's Letter to Frege in 1902"
Location:  Social Sciences Building, Room 1253
About the Talk:

Russell wrote to Frege on June 16, 1902, telling him of a "difficulty"
which is now famous as "Russell's Paradox".  It was already known before
1902 that sets of sets that are not members of themselves lead to
contradictions.  Zermelo and Hilbert both said that they had anticipated
Russell's paradox.  Russell didn't direct his argument particularly
against Frege's famous "Basic Law V".  So, what was Russell's problem?

Bernie's paper is attached.

Please let me know by Thursday 3pm if you are interested in joining
Bernie for dinner after his talk and/or for brunch on Saturday. He has
another paper on Ernst Schröder and Ernst Zermelo's independent
discovery of the paradoxes, which we could discuss on Saturday.