[Alta-Logic] re: Wednesday's talk

Robin Cockett robin at ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 25 10:36:08 MDT 2011

A reminder ... but also a useful addition/correction: the speaker is
Tristan Jugdev!
See you ICT 616, 11:00am tomorrow!

-robin

Speaker: Tristan Jugdev

Title: A Simplicial Construction of Homotopy Colimits

Abstract:
The homotopy (co)limit of topological spaces is a generalization of ordinary
(co)limits in such a way that the result is homotopy invariant.  I will
present an explicit construction of the homotopy colimit which works by
building a certain simplicial space out of a given diagram.  The
construction I present will allow one to construct the homotopy colimit of
an arbitrary diagram, but I will focus primarily on homotopy pushouts as an
illustrative example.  If time permits, I will also discuss how this
construction can be dualized to construct homotopy limits, and I will also
mention the classic Bousfield-Kan construction of homotopy colimits.