[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic talk

Robin Cockett robin at ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 11 17:17:52 MDT 2011

Apologies for the late announcement --- thanksgiving lethargy!

Time:  11:00am Wed. 12 Sept.

Place: ICT 616

Speaker:  Robin Cockett

Title: Timed Sets

A very simple construction is to associate with a (partial) function in
sets a timing in some partially ordered commutative monoid:  two maps
are then equal if, not only are they the same partial function, but also
their timing is the same.   From the perspective of complexity one often
wants to relax this very strict notion of equality to allow maps in the
same "complexity class" to be equal.  For example, if we are considering
P-time maps we may want two maps to be considered equal if, to within
"polynomial bounds", their timings are equal.

All this can be made good sense of categorically ...  what is a little
surprising is that this, under certain very naturally conditions, makes
timed sets into a restriction category -- in which the total maps are
precisely those whose timing are
in the complexity class one started with.  This allows one to construct
categories which not only directly express complexity but also express
computability (in the sense of being Turing categories) while having
their total maps belonging to a low complexity classes.

Joint work with Ximo Boils, Jonathan Gallagher, and Pavel Hubres