[Alta-Logic] Peripatetic Seminar tomorrow: Stacks with Masoud

Robin Cockett robin at ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 16 12:27:17 MST 2010

Speaker: Masoud Kamgar

Time: 11:00am Wed 17 Nov.

Place: ICT 616

Title: What is a stack?

Abstract: Stacks were invented by Grothendieck in the sixties as a part
of his program which revolutionized our understanding of spaces.
As a first step, one interprets a space X as a sheaf. A sheaf F is a map
which attaches to every open subspace U->X a set F(U). Grothendieck had
two main insights about the previous sentence:

i. One can replace open sets by other objects related to X (for
instance, covers of X). This gave rise to topos theory (which is also
relevant in logic, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_and_genesis_of_topos_theory).
ii. One can replace the set F(U) by an n-groupoid where n is a positive
integer or infinity.

Both i and ii are relevant to the story of stacks. In this talk, we
focus on the second insight of Grothendieck and take n=1.

Familiarity with categories and functors are essential. If necessary, I
can recall the relevant notions.