[Alta-Logic] Reminder: Talk Today

gscruttw at ucalgary.ca gscruttw at ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 17 09:57:48 MDT 2010

Part II of:

By Brett Giles:

Title: Quantum Computation, its semantics and implementing a Quantum
Programming Language

Abstract: This series of two talks will be an introduction to quantum
computation, starting with a quick review of the required knowledge of
Linear Algebra. Then, I will present quantum computation and discuss how
it is different from "standard" computation. Quantum circuits, which are
the most common tool currently used to work with quantum computation and
algorithms, will be introduced and the circuits for some common quantum
algorithms will be shown. This will be followed by definitions and facts
about dagger-categories, which are of interest in modelling the semantics
of quantum computation.

In the second talk, I will continue with dagger-categories and give an
overview of some of the recent research into quantum semantics. The last
half will introduce the quantum programming language Linear-QPL, discuss
its implementation and conclude with a short demonstration of running a
quantum program on the Linear-QPL emulator.

Place and time: Wed March 17th, 2:30pm, in SS 1253.