[Alta-Logic] Talk reminder

Gillman Payette ggpayett at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 24 12:08:22 MST 2010

Title: Preservationism and Truth

Place and time: Wed Feb 24, 2:30pm. SS 1253.

Abstract:

What is preservationism? It's rather simplistic really: consequence is
 given by preservation of properties between premises and consequences in
 general, not simply the preservation of truth. The preservationist
 position has been a methodology--what in lay parlance is a philosophy--for
 the study of logic. Implicit in this methodology of studying logics by the
 properties the inference relations preserve, is the thesis that logics
 should be studied in this way. One can see positive results of
preservationism in the work of Bryson Brown for FDE (First Degree
 Entailment). Also, preservationism has given rise to a unique approach to
 paraconsistent inference in a general setting in chapters 5-7 of On
 Preserving. But these uses do not sate desires for philosophical
foundations.

This paper first introduces preservationism and then give it a precise
 formulation. Second, Field's discussion of Kreisel's ``squeeze" argument
 for using model-theoretic consequence as capturing the intuitive notion of
 validity is exposed. Discussion of Field's analysis of validity will lead
 to a discussion of Field's own view on the matter of soundness and his
 thesis that validity should be considered as a basic notion, given that
 validity can't be captured, even extensionally, by necessary truth
 preservation. I call his position ``sociologism"--to be reminiscent of
 psychologism--since it relies on what we think to be valid reasoning, but
 it has less of a psychological bent. It is shown how the ``sociologism"
 fits with the preservationist program. The end of the paper ties the
 preservationist program to the theme of universal logic.

For the moment, I wanted to send around a paper to read by Hartry Field
 that gives some background if you want.

--
Gillman Payette
Department of Philosophy