[Alta-Logic] Talk On Wednesday Jan 14

ggpayett at ucalgary.ca ggpayett at ucalgary.ca
Thu Jan 8 11:36:24 MST 2009

Title: On Authorisation Languages and Formalisms

Start: 01/14/2009 - 13:00
End: 01/14/2009 - 14:00

Room: ICT 616

Speaker: Nicholas Sheppard

Abstract:

Access control systems are widely used to restrict access to sensitive
files and records stored on computer systems. Numerous authorisation
languages have been proposed in which the policy of an access control
system can be described, some based on traditional approaches to access
control, and others based on formal logics.

In this talk, I will give an overview of access control systems and
authorisation languages. I will pay particular attention to "rights
expression languages" used in intellectual property protection, which are
typically defined in natural-language specification documents and have
been criticised for their ambiguity. I will give an overview of attempts
to formalise rights expression language with logical bases, and propose a
new approach based on a procedural interpretation of rights expressions.

--
Gillman Payette
Department of Philosophy