[Alta-Logic] Talk on wednesday 26th Nov.

ggpayett at ucalgary.ca ggpayett at ucalgary.ca
Thu Nov 20 17:07:26 MST 2008

Start: 11/26/2008 - 13:00
End: 11/26/2008 - 14:00

Room: ICT 616

Speaker: Gillman Payette

Abstract:

Category theory presents itself as useful in understanding and
characterizing phenomena in logic. One notion that is common in category
theory is that of adjoint functor. I will focus on the uses of adjoint
functors in two areas of logic: Translation and identification of logics.

I will describe some necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence
of adjunctions of particular interest to the logician. I will use these to
present some of the most viable ways of construing, in general,
translations between logics, and identity between logics.

--
Gillman Payette
Department of Philosophy