[Alta-Logic] Logic and Category Theory Group Rebooted!

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 19 09:55:39 MDT 2008

Hi,

Over the past year, the Calgary Peripatetic Research Group in Logic and
Category Theory has been on hiatus, more or less. But now it's starting
up again! We'll try to have weekly meetings again, in the Fall term
they'll be on Wednesdays, 12:30 to 2:00 or so. I'll start it off with a
history of logic talk titled "The decision problem and the history of
metalogic" next Wednesday, September 24.

This is an exciting year for logic and category theory at Calgary.
Krister Segerberg is Killam Visiting Scholar and Visiting Professor in
the Philosophy Department.  Brian Redmond is a new postdoc working with
Robin Cockett. There's a bunch of new students interested in logic in
all departments involved.  Come to the first meeting and get to know
everyone!

We have a fancy new website!  It lives at
 http://www.ucalgary.ca/cprglct/

You'll find a calendar of events, an RSS feed for logic & category
theory-related news items, a list of people at the UofC interested in
logic & category theory, etc. Plus the abstract of my talk.

In order for the website to be as useful as possible, please:

- Let me know what you want me to put down for your entry on the
"People" page (if you think you should be on there)
- Send me brief descriptions of your research projects (if they're
related) for the "Research" page
- Post news items and events of interest on the website *yourself*.
Instructions are on the "For Group Members" page:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/cprglct/members

And then, of course:

- Come to our talks
- Tell Gillman Payette when and about what *you* want to give a talk.
His email is ggpayett at ucalgary.ca .
- Let other people know who are interested but who may not be on our
email list. Undergrads too!
- Subscribe to the email list or add the RSS feed to your feed readers.
(I'm sending this first announcement out more widely than usual, but
future announcements will only go to the alta-logic-l list.) Links here:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/cprglct/contact

See you Wednesday, I hope!

Best,
Richard
--
Richard Zach ...... http://www.ucalgary.ca/~rzach/
Associate  Professor,   Department  of  Philosophy