[Alta-Logic] Logic Seminar, Wednesday 10pm.

Pieter Hofstra hofstrap at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon Sep 26 14:08:35 MDT 2005

The logic seminar continues the series of talks on categorical homotopy
theory.

Time: Wednesday, 10pm
Place: ICT616

Speaker: Pieter Hofstra.
Topic: The homotopy category of a Quillen Model Category.

Last week, we considered the problem of inverting a class of morphisms
("weak equivalences") in a category, and introduced Quillen Model
Categories, which are categories equipped with three classes of
morphisms (weak equivalences, fibrations and cofibrations), subject to
certain axioms. This week we will see how this additional structure
allows us to construct the homotopy category, solving our initial
problem of finding a good representation for the category obtained by
formally inverting the class of weak equivalences.

Regards, Pieter Hofstra